Graduate Development Programme
Join MPI's Graduate Development Programme and launch a rewarding career. Find out about being one of our grads and how to apply.
Applications open for the 2018 programme
Get your application to us by 5pm on 18 June 2017.
Who we want
MPI's Graduate Development Programme is a springboard to a satisfying and important future – one that's vital to maintaining New Zealand's unique natural identity and international reputation.
We want to hear from you if you're:
- knowledgeable and passionate about the primary sector
- interested in protecting New Zealand's biosecurity system
- enthusiastic, adaptable and willing to learn
- keen to work with an organisation that's committed to helping you find the right career path.
What to expect
As one of our graduates, you'll work in a variety of areas, such as:
You'll have 3 work rotations of about 6 months each in different parts of MPI. Rotations may include regions (such as Nelson, Christchurch or Auckland) as well as Wellington. Each rotation will broaden your knowledge, capability and confidence.
Towards the end of the 18-month programme, we'll help to align your interests and goals to one of the many careers on offer.
The MPI Graduate Development Programme will set you up with the experience and insight to launch your MPI career.
What you need
- a recent tertiary qualification (completed after mid-January 2016)
- to be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident or be an Australian citizen
- strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- clear, confident communication skills
- sound relationship management abilities
- a collaborative working style.
We don’t expect you to have a wealth of industry knowledge or experience. It will be a bonus if you have:
- done voluntary or community work
- learnt or speak a language other than English
- experience leading or mentoring others – like for a sports team, volunteer group or academically.
How to apply
You can apply online through our Careers Centre – follow the instructions. Applications close at 5pm on 18 June 2017.
After you apply
Suitable candidates have to attend an assessment centre in Wellington on Friday 4 August 2017. This involves team exercises and face-to-face interviews. If you live outside the Wellington region, MPI will help you with travel arrangements.
If you're successful, you must be available to start the full-time programme in mid-January 2018.
Keep in touch
Check out our MPI Grads Facebook page for the most up-to-date information about the programme or choose another option:
- Like MPI Grads on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Connect on LinkedIn
- View us on Grad Connection
- Subscribe to job notifications in the Careers Centre
- Learn more about the variety of jobs at MPI and watch our staff in action on our YouTube channel
Who to contact
If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org