Export non-conformances

If you export animal products or material, or wine, you must by law report export non-conformances (ENCs) to MPI within 24 hours. If you don't, there are penalties. Find out about the requirements.

Notify MPI as soon as possible

If you export animal products or animal material and, for any of the reasons below, they become non-conforming, you must notify MPI as soon as possible. This must be not later than 24 hours after the event or after you find out about it.

Why you need to report promptly

Export non-conformances can have a serious impact on trade and compromise New Zealand's reputation as a trusted supplier of food and food-related products. As an exporter, you are legally obliged to report ENCs within 24 hours.

If you fail to comply with these obligations, even unintentionally, you can be fined. For full details, see the Animal Products Act (APA) 1999, Part 10, Section 135.

Your legal obligations – described in section 51(d) of the APA – should already be incorporated into your existing procedures.

Examples of export non-conformances

You must notify MPI if the animal material or products you have exported or are about to export fall into any of these categories:

  1. They are not fit, or are no longer fit, for their intended purpose. This may be as a result of any event which occurred or could have occurred prior to entry into the destination country, regardless of when the event was detected.
  2. They are refused entry by the government of the destination country.
  3. They do not meet, or no longer meet, relevant requirements notified or made available under section 60A of the APA.
  4. They do not have, or no longer have, the required official assurances.

If you're not sure it's a non-conformance

If you're not sure it's a non-conformance, email Food.Assurance@mpi.govt.nz

Products intended for export

For products that have not yet left New Zealand, your obligation to notify MPI begins at the time the product leaves the final MPI registered or listed operator. This excludes transporters.

How to report non-conformances to MPI

Export non-conformances must be reported by email. There are 2 ways you can report an ENC. You can:

  • use an MPI form, which ensures all the information MPI needs is captured, or
  • use your own form.

MPI forms for animal products

MPI provides forms for reporting ENCs: one for dairy products, one for non-dairy animal products and one for live animals and germplasm.

Using your own form

You can use your own form, as long as your notification contains all the necessary information.

Resolving ENCs

In some cases, MPI may be able to help you resolve market access issues. MPI can help only if you have notified the non-conformance and provided all the relevant details.

There are several instances when you need to meet additional requirements in addition to reporting of ENC's.

Export certificate errors

If your animal or dairy products have been refused entry at the border due to export certificate errors, and you need a replacement certificate or additional official assurance to gain entry, you must follow the normal certificate replacement process. This is in addition to submitting the export non-conformance notification.

If you require a replacement certificate, follow the specifications in this Notice.

Bringing animal products, excluding dairy, back into New Zealand

If you are bringing your non-dairy animal products back into New Zealand, you must also comply with the requirements in OMAR 01/172.

Bringing dairy products back into New Zealand

Bringing dairy products back into New Zealand If you are bringing your dairy products back into New Zealand, you also need to complete the form below and send it to Food.Assurance@mpi.govt.nz

Bringing live animals and germplasm back into New Zealand

Due to disease risks, there are limited situations where live animals can be brought back to New Zealand.
For guidance, email AnimalExports@mpi.govt.nz


Last reviewed: | Has this been useful? Give us your feedback