Registering food businesses
Information to help territorial authorities (TAs) perform their role as registration authorities. It includes template registration forms that TAs can adapt or use to register businesses under the new Food Act, the scope of operations document, a MAPS (Multiple Approvals Processing System) user guide and a form to apply for access to MAPS.
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) and all territorial authorities are registration authorities under the Food Act 2014. Their regulatory functions include the registration of:
- food control plans
- food businesses subject to a national programme.
Who does what?
Food control plans and national programmes are also known as risk-based measures. Table 1 outlines who will register businesses under each risk-based measure (RBMs).
|Risk-based measure||Registration authority|
|Custom Food Control Plan||MPI|
|Template Food Control Plan – single territorial authority region||Relevant territorial authority|
|Section 39 template Food Control Plan – multiple territorial authority regions||MPI or individual sites registered with the relevant territorial authorities (businesses choose which option works best for them)|
|Section 40 template Food Control Plan – single territorial authority region||MPI|
|Section 40 template Food Control Plan – multiple territorial authority regions||MPI|
|National Programme – single territorial authority region||Relevant territorial authority|
|National Programme – multiple territorial authority regions||MPI or individual sites registered with the relevant territorial authorities (businesses choose which option works best for them)|
Find out more
- Download frequently asked questions from food businesses [PDF, 405 KB]
- Where do businesses fit? - hard questions answered [PDF, 281 KB]
- Section 39 of the Food Act 2014 – NZ Legislation website
- Section 40 of the Food Act 2014 – NZ Legislation website
Registration data and MAPS
MPI expects that each territorial registration authority will use its own systems to manage their registration processes.
However, the Act requires MPI to maintain a public register of risk based measures. The public register will include details of all food control plan and national programme registrations in New Zealand.
Territorial authorities are responsible for transferring details of their registrations to MPI.
MPI has developed an online system which will hold all registered risk–based measures and enable territorial authorities to transfer their registration data. This system is known as MAPS (Multiple Approvals Processing System).
- MAPS user guide [PDF, 2 MB]
- Application form to access MAPS [PDF, 437 KB]
- MAPS terms and conditions of use and privacy [PDF, 271 KB]
- Guideline for Transferring Registration Data to MPI [PDF, 914 KB]
- MAPS frequently asked questions
- Scope of operations – sector mapping [PDF, 410 KB]
Template registration forms
MPI has developed templates containing all the registration information required to be included in MAPS. Territorial authorities can use these templates or to develop their own registration forms that will provide at least the same information. Once you have adopted or adapted these forms, provide MPI with links to the registration forms on your council website, or a copy of the form you would like businesses to use to register with you.
- Registering a single site business template form for use by territorial authorities [DOC, 248 KB]
- Registering a business with more than one site template form for use by territorial authorities [DOC, 270 KB]
- Scope of Operations form [PDF, 597 KB]
- Registration decision matrix [PDF, 75 KB]
- FA11NP - Change to registration information of multi-site food business subject to a National Programme [PDF, 283 KB]
Food control plans – documents suitable for commercial printing
If you want to print multiple versions of the food control plan templates to give to food businesses, download the documents suitable for commercial printing.
- 2015 Food Control Plan Introduction print [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- 2015 Food Control Plan Management full colour print [PDF, 481 KB]
- 2015 Food Control Plan The Basics full colour print [PDF, 7.8 MB]
- 2015 Food Control Plan Diary 4 week full colour print [PDF, 2.3 MB]
- 2015 Food Control Plan Retail Basics print [PDF, 2.7 MB]
- 2015 Food Control Plan Serve Safe print [PDF, 1.6 MB]
- 2015 Food Control Plan Baking Safe print [PDF, 3.2 MB]
- 2015 Food Control Plan Fish Safe print [PDF, 3.6 MB]
- 2015 Food Control Plan Butchery Safe print [PDF, 4.8 MB]
- 2015 Food Control Plan Deli Safe print [PDF, 4.3 MB]
Editable versions of these documents are available on the forms and templates page.