Media releases, monthly newsletters and media coverage about the Primary Growth Partnership and its programmes.
On this page:
- Agri-gate – latest news about MPI’s investment programmes
- Media releases from MPI and PGP partners
- Minister's media releases on the Beehive website
- PGP stories in the media
- Issue 36 – February 2017 [PDF, 2.4 MB]
Topics include the Omega Lamb PGP programme event in Queenstown in January to introduce Omega Lamb to chefs and others; Fonterra’s plans to build a new mozzarella plant on the back of research enabled by the Transforming the Dairy Value Chain PGP programme; new sheep milk calcium chews, the first product developed under the Sheep – Horizon Three PGP programme; completion of the Whai Hua PGP programme; the progress review for the NZ Avocados Go Global PGP programme; an update on the Pioneering to Precision PGP programme; the opening of the Sustainable Land Management and Climate change research programme funding round; the official release of insects used for biocontrol of the tutsan weed; and managing erosion through the Hill Country Erosion Fund.
- Issue 35 - December [PDF, 1.9 MB]
Topics include the new Sheep – Horizon Three PGP programme; Fonterra’s recent announcement that it will be investing $240 million into a new mozzarella plant, leveraging the success of the Transforming the Dairy Value Chain PGP programme; public recognition of two PGP programmes – Clearview Innovations and Pioneering to Precision; the Sustainable Farming Fund’s Pomahaka catchment project, along with a video about farmer engagement in the project that is driving visible results; and we provide a recap of some of the highlights from the past year across MPI’s different investment programmes.
- Issue 34 - November [PDF, 2.7 MB]
Topics include the PGP Annual Meeting, Food and Fibre Future Conference and PGP Expo; an event at the Christchurch A&P Show to celebrate the success of the Afforestation Grant Scheme to date and announce the results of the 2016 funding round; improvements to the Erosion Control Funding Programme; and a Sustainable Farming Fund project involving olive oil.
- Issue 33 - October [PDF, 1.7 MB]
Topics include the MPI Food and Fibre Conference; recognition of the work of 2 PGP programmes (Lifestyle Wines and Transforming the Dairy Value Chain); the results of the Erosion Control Funding Programme round for 2016; the PGP Annual Meeting; the FoodPlus PGP programme; a new web-based science teaching resource focused on where our food comes from; a Sustainable Land Management and Climate Change (SLMACC) Research programme involving Eucalyptus trees to offset carbon emissions; and the Protecting to Grow New Zealand: Biosecurity Forum 2016.
- Issue 32 - September [PDF, 1.6 MB]
Topics include the first of three workshops themed ‘Shaping New Zealand’s Food and Fibre Future’; updates on the Sustainable Farming Fund, Afforestation Grant Scheme, Erosion Control Funding Programme and the Sustainable Land Management and Climate Change Research Programme; Profiles of a the Steepland Harvesting PGP programme; Sustainable Farming Fund project focussed on increasing lamb survival; an Agri-gate survey for readers.
- Issue 31 - August [PDF, 750 KB]
Topics include the announcement of the new Sheep – Horizon Three PGP programme; updates on MPI’s Afforestation Grant Scheme, Erosion Control Fund and Sustainable Land Management and Climate Change Research Programme; Profiles of 2 PGP programmes that involve managing nutrients; a Sustainable Farming Fund project that studied the extent of grapevine trunk disease in New Zealand vineyards; and the Climate Cloud – a hub of climate change related resources developed with funding from MPI’s Sustainable Land Management and Climate Change Tech Transfer Funding programme.
- Issue 30 - July [PDF, 1.5 MB]
Topics include a demonstration of New Zealand’s first tele-operated forest harvester under the Steepland Harvesting PGP programme; Sustainable Farming Fund projects aimed at reducing the impacts of the Giant Willow Aphid and controlling the tomato potato psyllid; planting of the first tree under the Afforestation Grant Scheme at Banks Peninsula; the progress review of the SPATnz programme; and the importance of data.
- Issue 29 - June [PDF, 1.8 MB]
Topic include: our PGP presence at the 2016 National Fieldays; Chris Kelly’s appointment as an Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit; the close of the funding rounds for the Afforestation Grants Scheme and the Erosion Control Funding Programme; PGP programme annual plans and the IAP’s and MPI’s focus on stronger reporting by programmes; An update on the SPATnz PGP programme; the opening of the Sustainable Land Management and Climate Change Programme for applications for new research; MPI’s Growing our future – primary industry champions initiative; upcoming perational changes to the Irrigation Acceleration Fund; and the opening of the 2017/18 funding round for the Sustainable Farming Fund.
- Issue 28 - May [PDF, 3 MB]
Topics include a new environment planning tool developed by the FarmIQ programme, a demonstration of tools developed by the Clearview Innovations programme, the grand opening of Australasia’s first ever High Intensity Mixer and Precision Blending Tower by Ravensdown, the Maori Innovation Award won by Precision Seafood Harvesting, and a demonstration of PGP programmes Australian Agriculture Ministers. In this edition we also talk about other MPI investment programmes including the Sustainable Farming Fund, Irrigation Acceleration Fund and the Afforestation Grant Scheme.
- Issue 27 - April [PDF, 978 KB]
Topics include a profile of the Wool Unleashed (W3) programme, an April PGP workshop on collaboration to help extension activities, welcoming John Parker as the new Chair of the PGP's Investment Advisory Panel, saying farewell to Joanna Perry from the Panel, and some of her reflections on the PGP.
- Issue 26 - March [PDF, 606 KB]
Topics include the interim evaluation of the New Zealand Sheep Industry Transformation programme, the importance of commercialisation and we provide an update on the Whai Hua – New Dairy Products and Value Chains programme.
- Issue 25 - February [PDF, 1.9 MB]
Topics include the new Wool Unleashed (W3) PGP programme; the launch of the Tiaki fishing method by the Precision Seafood Harvesting programme; and we provide an update on the High Performance Manuka Plantations PGP programme.
- Issue 24 - December
Topics include a summary of some of the highlights from 2015, the importance of environmental scanning and we showcase how the PGP is fostering our next generation of primary industry superstars.
- Issue 23 - November
Topics include the Transforming the Dairy Value Chain programme showcase, welcoming Steve Smith to the independent PGP Investment Advisory Panel, our new PGP video, and a profile of the Clearview Innovations programme and its progress review.
- Issue 22 - October [PDF, 656 KB]
Topics include the 2015 PGP Annual Meeting and Expo, the change to the Crown’s investment share in new PGP programmes from 1 December 2015, the progress reviews for the Marbled Grass-fed Beef and FarmIQ programmes and exciting gene-sequencing research by LIC which is helping with Auckland University’s research into human genetic disorders.
- Issue 21 - September [PDF, 836 KB]
Topics include the new Targeting New Wealth with High Health programme, recent public recognition of three PGP programmes, a report on the demonstration of a remote controlled forest harvester developed by the Steepland Harvesting programme and the progress review of the Transforming the Dairy Value Chain programme.
- Issue 20 – August [PDF, 875 KB]
Topics include achievements by the NZ Avocado Go Global programme, the need to understand what consumers perceive as important, why PGP is about investment rather than simply funding, and achievements from the Transforming the Dairy Value Chain programme
- Issue 19 – July [PDF, 545 KB]
Topics include recent PGP achievements, the progress review for the Seeds and Nutritional Technology Development programme, improvements to the monitoring of PGP programmes, the value of communicating intermediate programme achievements and an update on the New Zealand Sheep Industry Transformation programme.
- Issue 18 – June [PDF, 777 KB]
Topics include social license to operate and extension, Passion2Profit programme profile
- Issue 17 – May [PDF, 709 KB]
Topics include viewing PGP as a brand, PGP environmental benefits and a profile of the Pioneering to Precision programme
- Issue 16 – April [PDF, 572 KB]
Topics include the SPATnz hatchery opening, Precision Seafood Harvesting’s snapper survivability trials and the NZ Avocados Go Global programme profile
- Issue 15 – March [PDF, 509 KB]
Topics include the Office of the Auditor-General's performance audit of the PGP and a profile of the Lifestyle Wines programme
- Issue 14 – February [PDF, 650 KB]
Topics include the PGP's contribution to Maori agri-business, the progress review for the Whai Hua – new dairy products and value chains programme, 'stop go' decisions and a profile of the Red Meat Profit Partnership programme
- Issue 13 – December [PDF, 752 KB]
Topics include end of year highlights, changes to Investment Advisory Panel membership and a profile of the New Dairy Products and Value Chain – Whai Hua programme
- Issue 12 – November [PDF, 790 KB]
Topics include the 2014 PGP Expo, the Steepland Harvesting programme progress review and profiles of the Primary Industry Capability Alliance and the Marbled Grass-fed Beef programme
- Issue 11 – October [PDF, 867 KB]
Topics include Precision Seafood Harvesting awards, the Stump2Pump and STIMBR final programme reports and a profile of the Seed and Nutritional Technology Development programme
- Issue 10 – September [PDF, 680 KB]
Topics include the PGP 'Innovation Pipeline', innovation success factors and a profile of the FoodPlus programme
- Issue 9 – August [PDF, 591 KB]
Topics include PGP thematic workshops, information sharing and a profile of the SPATnz programme
- Issue 8 – July [PDF, 615 KB]
Topics include the completion of the STIMBR programme, ClimbMAX harvester development and a profile of the High Performance Manuka Plantations programme
- Issue 7 – June [PDF, 820 KB]
Topics include the New Zealand Institute of Economic Research’s report on projected PGP economic benefits and a profile of the Precision Seafood Harvesting programme
- Issue 6 – May [PDF, 1.1 MB]
Topics include PGP programme annual planning and a profile of the Clearview Innovations programme profile
- Issue 5 – April [PDF, 851 KB]
Topics include the New Zealand Sheep Industry Transformation programme's progress review and a profile of the STIMBR programme
- Issue 4 – March [PDF, 1.6 MB]
Topics include the PGP media field trip and a profile of the Transforming the Dairy Value Chain programme
- Issue 3 – February [PDF, 1 MB]
Topics include a profile of the Steepland Harvesting programme
- Issue 2 – December [PDF, 1005 KB]
Topics include a profile of the FarmIQ programme
- Issue 1 – November [PDF, 1.9 MB]
Topics include the 2013 PGP Expo and a profile of the New Zealand Sheep Industry Transformation programme
- High value sheep milk PGP programme officially kicks off
- Sheep milk industry set to grow through new partnership
- New Primary Growth Partnership programme sets sights on strong wool
- PGP programme to launch innovative consumer research into New Zealand lamb
- Nutrient management programme hits a century
- Passion2Profit joins Primary Growth Partnership
- New Zealand Greenshell mussel breeding begins at brand new hatchery in Nelson
- MPI welcomes independent performance audit of Primary Growth Partnership
- New PGP programme to turn passion into profit
- New PGP programme serves up healthier lamb
- Remote controlled tree felling trial shows promise
- New Zealand avocados poised to Go Global
- New Zealand wine industry's largest R&D programme underway
- New programme set to transform hill country farms
- SPATnz breeding better mussels for New Zealand
- Avocados set to "Go Global" with new PGP
- Red meat sector programme formalised and set to boost farmer productivity and profitability
- High quality, lower calorie and lower alcohol wines focus of new programme
- Stump to Pump programme receives PGP funding boost
- Research initiative to rejuvenate hill country
- New dairy PGP programme Whai Hua announced
- Red Meat PGP Collaboration Programme for Greater Farmer Profitability
- Minister welcomes new sheep milk PGP programme - 25 Aug
- New PGP Investment Advisory Panel Chair announced - 27 Apr
- New PGP programme to boost wool industry - 10 Feb
- New funding balance for PGP programmes - 15 Oct
- Official start of new PGP lamb programme - 23 Sept
- Major benefits expected from new forest harvesting technology - 17 Sept
- PGP delivering much needed support to rural communities - 11 Sept
- Minister welcomes new venison PGP programme - 26 May
- More success for Primary Growth Partnership - 17 Feb
- Minister welcomes independent review of PGP - 11 Feb
- Two new PGP programmes approved - 29 Jan
- New PGP investment advisory panel members - 19 Dec
- New remote control technology for forestry could save lives - 8 Aug
- Minister congratulates Precision Seafood Harvesting PGP programme - 12 June
- Govt to undertake Bay of Plenty growth study - 5 June
- New report shows PGP delivering major benefits - 28 May
- Ambitious new PGP programme for avocado industry - 1 April
- PGP Forestry programme takes big step forward - 22 March
- New funding programme to develop low-calorie, low alcohol wines - 27 Nov
- PGP delivering major results - 23 Oct
- Revolutionary seafood project showing great promise - 1 Oct
- Sir Maarten Wevers joins PGP panel - 30 Sept
- Speech to the PGP expo - 30 Sept
- Two new PGP programmes announced - 26 June
- Three years of PGP - 10 June
- PGP Round Nine opens - 6 June
- Rod Oram: Herding sheep milk's potential - (28 Aug) - Stuff website
- Government and private enterprise to spend $31.4m to develop sheep milk industry - (25 Aug) - Stuff website
- Taking remote control of NZ's forestry future - (26 Jul) - Stuff website
- European consumers offered chilled Kiwi venison in trial - (6 Apr) - Stuff website
- Transforming the dairy value chain - (9 Mar) - Stuff website
- Wool Unleashed aims to lift returns - (10 Feb) - Farmers Weekly News website
- Soil testing from the air could curb fertiliser use – (1 Dec) – One News website
- Remote tree logger aims to cut forestry deaths - (18 Sept) - Stuff website
- Remote-controlled tree felling reduces hazards - (19 Sept) - 3 News website
- Lamb marketing to receive boost in PGP programme (23 Sept) - Stuff website
- New uses for lower value venison products (23 July) – Stuff website
- Collaboration, innovation for thriving primary sector (16 July) – NZ Herald website
- The advantages of good genes (16 July) – NZ Herald website
- Projecting the right image (16 July) – NZ Herald website
- Riding the roller coaster (16 July) – NZ Herald website
- Avocados find sweet spot for surge in growth (23 June) – China Daily website
- Value-adding flag nailed to the mast (29 June) – AgriHQ website
- Lupins feed crop but a pest as well (5 June) – Stuff website
- Better merino sheep in the making (8 May) – Stuff website
- Night milking producing melatonin-rich milk (29 April) – NZ Herald website
- 'Precision fishing' trial helps the tiddlers (7 April) – NZ Herald website
- There's no arguing involved in this seafood spat (6 April) – Stuff website
- Better deer health can lift profits (21 March) – Stuff website
- $41m funding for meaty projects (30 Jan) – NZ Herald website
Who to contact
If you have questions about the PGP, email firstname.lastname@example.org.