Animal material depots holding meat
Find out the requirements that animal material depots must meet when temporarily holding animal material prior to it being transferred to a primary processor.
What animal material depots do
Animal material depots are used to temporarily hold wild, game estate, or farmed-gone-feral animal carcasses prior to their transfer to a primary processor who will process them for human consumption.
Animal material depot operators cannot process any animal material, but they can
- apply protective coverings.
New Zealand requirements
If your depot holds animal material intended for human consumption, the requirements you need to meet are set out in the following Animal Products Notice (which came into effect on 1 April 2016). Part 12 is especially relevant.
- Animal Products Notice: Specifications for Products Intended for Human Consumption 2016 [PDF, 2.7 MB]
- Coversheet [PDF, 74 KB]
- Quick reference table for old and new clause numbering [PDF, 131 KB]
Verifying and listing animal material depots
As part of the requirements, if you operate an animal material depot that holds wild, game estate, or farmed-gone-feral mammals, you must
- before starting operation, undergo an initial verification by a recognised agency to ensure you are meeting the requirements
- apply to be listed with MPI and be relisted every 2 years
- once listed, undergo regular verifications by a recognised agency according to Schedules 1 and 2 of the Verification Statement of Policy.
Find a recognised agency to carry out your verification:
Use the AP19 form to apply to become an animal material depot or to renew your status with MPI:
- AP19 – Animal material depot listing: Fish (other than bivalve molluscan shellfish) / Killed wild mammal [PDF, 165 KB]
Learn more about how regularly your animal material depot needs to undergo verification. The Verification 2005 Statement of Policy specifies policy for verification of animal materials and products (except dairy, live animals, and germplasm):
- Verification 2005 Statement of Policy [PDF, 213 KB]
- Amendment to 2005 Verification Statement of Policy – Animal Products Act 1999 [PDF, 67 KB]
- Memorandum [PDF, 65 KB]
MPI maintains a searchable register of all listed animal material depots:
There are additional requirements you need to meet if your depot holds animal carcasses that, after processing, will be exported. Find out more: