The food safety legislation for MPI includes specifications, notices, and standards for seafood.
For Acts and most regulations and orders, see the New Zealand Legislation website:
Specifications and notices
Animal Products (contaminant monitoring and surveillance) Notice
This notice notifies contaminant sampling regimes, and competent person and laboratory requirements for the MPI National Chemical Residues Programme.
Animal Products (Fish Export Processing Requirements) Notice
Requirements to export fish product with an official assurance and processors of fish product for export with an official assurance.
Animal Products (Recognised Agencies and Persons Specifications) Notice
Animal Products (Specifications for Bivalve Molluscan Shellfish) Notice
This notice applies to anyone involved with bivalve molluscan shellfish (BMS) on marine or land-based farms or in the wild and subject to a Regulated Control Scheme.
Animal Products (Specifications for Limited Processing Fishing Vessels) Notice
If you operate a limited processing fishing vessel (LPFV) and export seafood directly from your vessel, you need to operate under this notice.
Animal Products Notice: Electronic Certification System Costs - Non-dairy Animal Product Industry
- Animal Products Notice (Electronic Certification System Costs – Non-dairy Animal Product Industry – effective 01 November 2014) [PDF, 174 KB]
The fee payable by the non-dairy animal product industry for use of MPI's E-cert system, based on the formula prescribed under the Animal Products (Fees, Charges and Levies) Regulations 2007.
Animal Products Notice: Specifications for Products Intended for Human Consumption
- Animal Products Notice (Specifications for Products Intended for Human Consumption) [PDF, 2.7 MB]
- Animal Products Notice (Specifications for Products Intended for Human Consumption): Quick reference table for old and new clause numbering [PDF, 131 KB]
Animal Products Notice (Contaminant Specifications 60b Exemption)
This notice exempts specified products from the Animal Products Contaminant Specifications for specified levels of contaminants for export to countries listed in the notice.
Specification of Scientific Names of Fish
- Specification of Scientific Names of Fish [PDF, 81 KB]
Common, Māori and scientific names of fish and seafood. These names are used on labels for food for human consumption.
Waiver of Fees, Charges, and Levies
- Waiver of Fees, Charges, and Levies: Animal Products (Dairy Industry Fees, Charges, and Levies) Regulations 2015 and Animal Products (Fees, Charges, and Levies) Regulations 2007 [PDF, 154 KB]
A waiver instrument issued under the Animal Products (Dairy Industry Fees, Charges, and Levies) Regulations 2015 and the Animal Products (Fees, Charges and Levies) Regulations 2007.
Waiver of Requirement to Provide a Copy of an Independent Evaluation Report
A waiver for the requirement to provide an independent evaluation of proposed/amended RMPs if the proposed/amended programme is fully based on specified templates.
These standards give effect to part of New Zealand’s obligations under the agreement between the governments of New Zealand and Australia for a joint food standards system.