What is the Fisheries ITP?
The Fisheries Industry Transformation Plan (ITP) focuses on initiatives to:
- strengthen the environmental performance of our commercial fisheries
- increase the value created from fishing
- support people in the industry and local communities.
The wild-capture fisheries sector supports people throughout Aotearoa New Zealand with jobs and nutritional food. It contributes to New Zealand's ongoing prosperity, with annual exports valued at over $1.45 billion.
The draft Fisheries ITP outlines initiatives to build on the sector's strengths and make the most of new opportunities, such as developments in technology, product innovation, and data, while reducing environmental impact.
Draft Fisheries Industry Transformation Plan [PDF, 9.8 MB]
We want to hear from you about the draft Fisheries ITP
Consultation on the draft Fisheries ITP is open from 27 April to 11 June 2023.
Find out about the consultation and how to have your say
Once we've heard your feedback on the draft, we will work to finalise and implement the plan later in 2023.
What's proposed in the draft ITP?
Fisheries New Zealand partnered with an external leadership group to develop a draft ITP that has 20 actions that we think will:
- strengthen environmental performance
- improve profitability and productivity
- support people and communities.