Support for farmers affected by Mycoplasma bovis

If you're an affected farmer, we understand dealing with Mycoplasma bovis will be stressful. Find out about the help available.

Farming through eradication 

When responding to things outside of your control, it is important to have a support team around you. Family, friends, and trusted advisors can help you get through.

But sometimes it can be helpful to seek support, assistance, and expertise from someone objective and not so involved in the process. Our fact sheets have more advice.

Looking after yourself – fact sheet [PDF, 1.2 MB]

Supporting you as we eradicate M. bovis [PDF, 1.9 MB]

Rural Support Trusts

Rural Support Trusts have trained facilitators who can support you with some of the issues you are facing. They can refer you to experts and services that you might need, such as planning and management advice, health information, Work and Income employment and financial assistance measures.

  • Call 0800 78 72 54 (0800 RURAL HELP)
  • Select “0” for Mycoplasma bovis questions, or select your region to chat about other matters.

MPI and industry are here to help

If you are a farmer and need support, help is available through your industry group representative and MPI.

We're calling on rural communities to support each other, especially affected farmers and those that appear to be finding it hard. If you have any concerns about someone you know, contact the Rural Support Trust or other community support services.

Mycoplasma bovis Recovery Advice Service

The Mycoplasma bovis Recovery Advice Service helps farmers pay for business and technical advice on recovering from the effects of Mycoplasma bovis. It makes payments to eligible farmers of up to $5,000 (excluding GST) per property that's run as a separate business entity.

You will need to meet the difference if the total cost of the services you receive per property is greater than this amount.

Eligible farmers can decide what type of advice they need and choose their supplier from a pre-approved list.

Inland Revenue 

Inland Revenue can help people affected by extreme events. They have a range of measures to help, depending on your personal circumstances.

Guide to tax relief in extreme events – Inland Revenue website  

Filing and paying

Inland Revenue understands that tax isn’t the first thing on your mind. Contact your tax agent with any concerns or questions about filing returns or paying tax. They will work with Inland Revenue on any tax concerns.

Working for Families

Working for Families Tax Credits are payments for families with dependent children aged 18 or under. Payments can be made weekly, fortnightly, or as a lump sum at the end of the year.

To check if you're eligible for Working for Families Tax Credit:

 Work and Income – Ministry of Social Development

There is a range of assistance available for people or families whose incomes have been severely affected. Even if you don’t think you’d qualify, please talk to Work and Income. Your Rural Support Trust can help you with this. Work and Income may be able to help you with costs you don’t have any other way of paying even if you’re not on a benefit, or can point you in the right direction based on your circumstances.

Who to contact

If you have questions about Mycoplasma bovis:

Last reviewed: