Making changes to a food business in Alert Level 3
There are requirements food businesses must follow to ensure their food is safe for consumers. New Zealand Food Safety has developed ways for businesses to meet these requirements so they can operate under Alert Level 3, including making changes to the way they do business.
Making changes to an Animal Products Act business
The following steps are for businesses that operate under the Animal Products Act, including egg producers, dual operator butchers, dairy producers and suppliers of raw drinking milk.
It will help those producers who want to add packaging, labelling and/or delivery of animal products to the scope of their Risk Management Programme (RMP).
- Download A1 RMP Template for Packaging, Labelling and Delivery of Animal Products. This has been pre-evaluated and does not require further evaluation.
Risk Management Programme template for packaging, labelling and delivery of animal products – Attachment A1 [PDF, 488 KB]
- Attach this to your current RMP. Including this pre-evaluated RMP template will be considered to be a minor amendment of your RMP.
- Notify your verifier and MPI Approvals (email@example.com) that you have added the respective operation(s) to the scope of your business’s RMP.
- Start following the additional procedures within your business operation.
- Once the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, you will need to formally advise MPI Approvals if you want to continue with the additional or changed operations.
Note, farmers selling and delivering raw drinking milk to consumers who are registered under the raw drinking milk Regulated Control Scheme (RCS), must continue to follow the requirements of the Raw Milk for Sale to Consumers Regulations 2015 and Animal Products Notice: Raw Milk for Sale to Consumers as well as meeting the COVID-19 rules for home delivery.
Animal Products Notice: Raw Milk for Sale to Consumers [PDF, 926 KB]
Making changes to a Food Act business
The following guidance is for businesses which operate under the Food Act 2014 (including butchers, fishmongers, bakeries, delicatessens, cafes, restaurants, takeaways, food service, manufacturers, food transporters, cheesemakers, winemakers and horticultural growers) who want to change their registration to include things like:
- Selling takeaway food,
- Delivering/transporting food,
- Meal kits and breaking bulk food into smaller packaging for retail,
- Making chilled / frozen prepared food, and/or
- Making jams, sauces, and chutneys
If you want to make changes, you may need to operate under a Custom Food Control Plan. To do this, you will need to complete the My Food Rules (online registration) tool and include both your original activities as well as the activities you want add.
Once you have successfully completed the My Food Rules questionnaire, you will receive a step-by step guide about what plan/programme you need, and who you should be registering with. In all cases, if you are planning on making changes to your business, let your Registration Authority (New Zealand Food Safety or your local council) know, by email or phone. Please note that fees and charges may apply.
For Food Act questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0800 00 83 33.
For Animal Products Act questions, email email@example.com or phone 0800 00 83 83.
For latest sector-specific advice on COVID-19:
- Primary sector businesses, services, and support services
- For supermarkets, visit MBIE’s Workplace operations at COVID-19 alert levels