Guidance for main export markets

Find information about exporting to some of our main trading partners – China, the United States, Canada, the Middle East, Africa, Australia, Europe, and Asia.

Meeting importing country requirements

As well as meeting any New Zealand requirements for your product, you need to check whether there are additional importing country requirements set by your destination market.

Exporting requirements

You often need to work with an overseas agent or importer to get advice on any regulations or requirements set by your destination market.

Where we can, MPI provides general guidance on importing country requirements for certain products. This page lists publicly available general guidance documents we've published. Information in on this page is only for guidance, and:

  • does not include legal requirements established by MPI
  • is not definitive or exhaustive
  • may be subject to change without notice.

If you rely on the information in these documents, MPI will not accept liability for any resulting loss.

Some guidance documents are password protected. To check them or register, see:

Registration documents

Some markets may require products to be registered by relevant government agencies. This document lists documents that are required to get products registered in specified countries.

Exporting to China

Publicly available guidance documents for China are listed below. These are additional to requirements documents like OMARs and ICPRs. There may also be password protected guidance documents – check the FYIs page.

Translated China GB Standards

China has a number of national standards (known as Guo Biao or GB standards), such as for health foods, food additives, packaging and labelling etc, which all foods exported into China will need to meet.

MPI has acquired translated versions of some of China’s GB standards, which are listed below. These are only intended as guides, and exporters should liaise with their importers for details. MPI does not take responsibility for inaccuracies in these translations and note that some of the standards may have been updated or replaced.

Exporting to USA

Exporting to Canada

Exporting to Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC)

Exporting to Thailand

If you’re planning to export food products for human consumption to Thailand, you may need a food quality assurance system certificate (also known as a ‘product registration’ or ‘GMP’ certificate).

This certificate is required for 66 different food products (listed in the Thailand OMAR), including:

  • meat
  • dairy
  • honey
  • fresh fruit
  • fresh vegetables.

You must check with your importer whether your export needs to include this certificate.

Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration will not accept Risk Management Programme, Food Control Plan or National Programme registrations, Free Sale Advice Statements or Free Sale Certificates in place of this certificate.

Applying for a Food quality assurance system certificate

For animal derived food products

Follow the instructions in the:

For non-animal derived food products

Complete the:

Email the completed form to MPI at

Exporting to Indonesia

Last reviewed: