Pears & nashi to USA – extra requirements
If you're exporting fresh pears and nashi to the United States of America for human consumption, you may need to comply with extra phytosanitary (plant health) requirements. These may include activities by the growers, packers, storage facility operators, and exporters.
Follow the steps
1. Refer to the steps for exporting fresh fruit.
As well as the extra requirements on this page, you must also follow the process that applies to all fresh fruit exported from New Zealand.
2. Contact an Independent Verification Agency (IVA).
You need to use an MPI-authorised Independent Verification Agency (IVA), which can advise you about meeting your compliance requirements (like documentation, tests, or treatments). Fees may apply.
3. Follow the voluntary USDA pipfruit pre-clearance programme for your product.
Official agreements between New Zealand and some export markets aim to make exporting easier or are needed to enable exports. The requirements are set out in Official Assurance Programmes (OAPs) or pre-clearance programmes.
MPI and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) negotiate a voluntary pre-clearance programme (known as a workplan) each year. USA officials are based in New Zealand to inspect fruit in accordance with the workplan. This should result in faster clearance times on arrival.
Read the operating guidelines and technical requirements in the workplan. It explains what growers, packhouse operators, storage facility operators, and exporters need to do.
You may also need to use MPI-approved service providers and suppliers to get your product to market. Contact details are listed in registers and lists.
- Download the Technical Work Plan for USDA Pre-export Inspection of New Zealand Pipfruit Exported to the United States of America (password-protected)
- Download the Industry Operating Guidelines for Pipfruit to USA Pre-Clearance Programme (password-protected)
- Download the MPI Plant Exports: Commodity Pest List – Pipfruit [PDF, 142 KB]
- Browse the registers of approved exporters
- Browse the register of USDA pipfruit facilities
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)