Potatoes – extra requirements
Follow the steps
1. Refer to the steps for exporting fresh vegetables.
As well as the extra requirements on this page, you must also follow the process that applies to all fresh vegetables exported from New Zealand.
2. Contact an Independent Verification Agency (IVA).
You need to use an MPI-authorised Independent Verification Agency (IVA), which can advise you about meeting your compliance requirements (like documentation, tests, or treatments). Fees may apply.
3. Follow the programme requirements for your destination country.
Official agreements between New Zealand and some export markets aim to make exporting easier or are needed to enable exports. The requirements are set out in Official Assurance Programmes (OAPs) or pre-clearance programmes.
Only registered programme participants and IVAs can access the password-protected OAP documents.
Some destination countries require additional declarations to confirm that:
- the production site is free from potato cyst nematode (Globodera rostochiensis and Globodera pallida) (PCN)
- the area is free from potato wart (Synchytrium endobioticum).
Information about the declarations is in the OAP for the potato cyst nematode and potato wart.
For guidance about the OAP for potato cyst nematode and potato wart, read the guidance document about the potato OAP.
The following participants in the production chain must register with MPI:
- the production site (grower)
- the packing or storage facility
- the potato exporter.
To register, complete the Export Potato Registration form.
- Download the Export Potato Registration form as a PDF document [PDF, 581 KB]
MPI-registered production sites (growers), packhouses, and exporters must be used to get your product to market. The contact details are listed in Registers and lists.
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)