3. Register as a honey and bee products exporter
If you're exporting honey commercially, you must register with MPI or use the services of a registered exporter.
How to register
You can do this online.
Alternatively, you can complete one of these forms:
Notes about registering
- You'll need to pay a registration fee each year.
- Registration applications are assessed according to requirements set out in section 54 of the Animal Products Act 1999.
- If you don't register with the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI), you can use the services of an exporter who is already registered.
If you're exporting organic honey or bee products
If you want to export organic honey or bee products, you will need to understand and comply with your destination market's regulations for marketing your product as “organic”.
If you are exporting to the EU or Switzerland, which are covered by the MPI Official Organic Assurance Programme (OOAP), you must also:
- register with an MPI recognised Third Party Agency, either AsureQuality or BioGro
- have an organic management plan (OMP) for your bee operation that is verified against the requirements of the OOAP Technical Rules by your chosen third party agency
- register with MPI as an organic exporter
- get an official organic assurance for your consignments.
To register as an organics exporter, complete the:
- online exporter registration application using RealMe
- Organic exporter registration – OP1 application form [DOC, 420 KB].
To find out about getting official assurance for organic exports to the EU or Switzerland, see:
For more information about exporting organic food, see:
Registered exporters list
When your application has been processed and approved by MPI, you will be added to a list of registered exporters that is maintained by MPI and available to the public:
Who to contact
If you have questions about exporting honey and bee products, email email@example.com
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback