Health Star Ratings: system reviews
The Health Star Rating system began in 2014 and has regular monitoring and reviews of progress. Find out about the 2-year and 5-year reviews.
Monitoring implementation of Health Star Ratings
The Health Star Rating (HSR) system has had reviews at 2 and 5 years since the system was introduced.
The trans-Tasman Health Star Rating Advisory Committee oversees monitoring of the system.
Collection and analysis of data were coordinated by:
- MPI in New Zealand
- the National Heart Foundation in Australia.
2-year review completed in 2016
This review looked at:
- label use and consistency with the HSR system style guide
- consumer awareness and ability to use the HSR system correctly
- nutrient status of products carrying a HSR system label.
5-year review completed in 2019
This independent review considered if, and how well, the goals of the HSR system had been met. It identified several options for improvements, including:
- system/calculator enhancements.
The Australia and New Zealand Ministerial Forum on Food Regulation considered this review and agreed to a number of improvements. The enhanced system will be implemented from 15 November 2020.
Who to contact
If you have questions about Health Star Ratings, email email@example.com