Sustainable Land Management & Climate Change Research Programme
The Sustainable Land Management and Climate Change (SLMACC) Research Programme helps the agriculture and forestry sectors with the challenges arising from climate change. Learn about the projects the programme supports and its priorities.
The research programme:
- enhances and supports adaptation to climate change
- reduces agricultural greenhouse gases
- encourages the establishment of forest sinks
- manages deforestation
- capitalises on new business opportunities arising from the world's response to climate change.
Types of research
The SLMACC Research Programme invests in targeted basic, applied and policy research, including:
- the impacts of climate change and adaptation to climate change
- mitigation of agricultural and forestry greenhouse gas emissions
- cross-cutting issues, including economic analysis, life-cycle analysis, farm, catchment and systems analysis and social impacts
- policy research to address targeted policy questions.
Climate issues facing farmers – Survey results
The impacts of climate change are projected to intensify over the coming decades - both environmentally and economically. Both domestic and international expectations about the response to climate change and sustainable use of resources have risen.
This research highlights that 63% of farmers agree or strongly agree that global human activity is contributing to climate change, a significant increase on the proportion agreeing in 2009.
Download the full report [PDF, 3.4 MB]
Celebrating 10 years of research
Read about some of the projects funded by SLMACC during the past 10 years.
- Download the booklet Investing in tomorrow [PDF, 11 MB]
Each year MPI approves a number of priority topics that address 1 of the following research themes.
- Impacts of climate change and adaptation.
- Mitigation of agricultural and forestry greenhouse gas emissions.
- Cross-cutting issues, including economic analysis, life-cycle analysis, farm catchment systems analysis, and social impact.
The theme topics will vary each year.
2019-2020 funding round results
- List of successful applicants and their projects [PDF, 118 KB]
This section has the SLMACC review reports completed in August 2018.
- A Review of 10 Years of Research – Summary of findings [PDF, 4.8 MB]
- Survey of Project Leaders and Stakeholders [PDF, 557 KB]
- Technology Transfer Projects [PDF, 946 KB]
- Agricultural greenhouse gas mitigation projects [PDF, 1.9 MB]
- Agricultural GHG mitigation [PDF, 270 KB]
- International Agricultural Mitigation Research and the impacts and value of 2 SLMACC Research Projects [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Mind the gaps: Synthesis and systematic review of climate change adaptation in New Zealand’s primary industries [PDF, 2.1 MB]
- Climate change research in New Zealand focusing on forestry [PDF, 3.6 MB]
MPI regularly publishes reports produced by the SLMACC Research Programme.
Case study fact sheets
Find case studies fact sheets on completed SLMACC projects.
- Facing up to pest, weed and disease incursions as the world warms [PDF, 456 KB]
- Methane inhibitors – helping to nip a problem greenhouse gas in the bud [PDF, 598 KB]
- Ensuring planted forestry remains light on its feet as the planet warms [PDF, 615 KB]
- Sizing up the emissions footprint on low and high input dairy systems [PDF, 819 KB]
- Tapping into a tradition of adaptation in a warming world [PDF, 393 KB]
Who to contact
If you have questions about the SLMACC Research Programme, email email@example.com