Media releases, monthly newsletters, and media coverage about the Primary Growth Partnership and its programmes.
- Issue 47 – December [PDF, 826 KB]
Included in this edition is the launch of Sustainable Food & Fibre Futures, the Mid-rise Timber Construction programme, the One Billion Trees Fund, findings from the recent review of the Sustainable Land Management and Climate Change (SLMACC) research programme and updates on the Post-quake Farming and Kaikoura Plains Recovery projects.
- Issue 46 – October [PDF, 3.7 MB]
Included in this edition is the launch of the Hāpi – Brewing Success hop and craft beer programme, releasing the PGP Annual Report for the year ending 30 June 2018, the Red Meat Profit Partnership, this year's funding round for the Hill Country Erosion Fund, a Sustainable Farming Fund project aimed at understanding variations in onion crops and yields, and celebrating the 10-year anniversary of the Sustainable Land Management and Climate Change programme.
- Issue 45 – August [PDF, 1.5 MB]
Included in this edition ten year anniversary of the Sustainable Land Management and Climate Change research programme, launch of Sustainable Food & Fibre Futures, launch of the Caprine Innovations NZ PGP programme, release of the PGP review report, welcoming Zoe Attwood to the Investment Advisory Panel, the Wool Unleashed PGP programme, and a soil carbon research project funded by the NZ Agricultural Greenhouse Gas Research Centre.
- Issue 44 – June [PDF, 511 KB]
Topics include an update on the review of the Primary Growth Partnership, funding rounds for the Sustainable Farming Fund and erosion programmes, launches of initiatives at the National Fieldays, The Omega Lamb Project, and an Erosion Control Funding Programme using high-res digital mapping to reduce erosion and boost infrastructure planning in Gisborne.
- Issue 43 – April [PDF, 4.3 MB]
Topics include reflections on the recently completed Transforming the Dairy Value Chain Primary Growth Partnership (PGP) programme, an update on the review of the PGP, the Red Meat Profit Partnership PGP programme and findings of an independent review, a Sustainable Farming Fund project aimed at improving pastures and productivity of sheep farming on hill country dryland, and the Passion2Profit PGP programme that’s increasing the long-term viability of New Zealand’s deer industry.
- Issue 42 - February [PDF, 3.1 MB]
Topics include an update on the review of the PGP, the New Zealand Avocados Go Global PGP programme, evaluation of the Whai Hua PGP programme, a Sustainable Farming Fund-supported project working with students to protect the Pomahaka River in southwest Otago, a Hill Country Erosion programme that’s tackling erosion in the Horizons Region, and a farm business recovery programme funded by MPI’s Earthquake Recovery Fund and other organisations, to help farmers make decisions on land use following the November 2016 earthquake.
- Issue 41 – December [PDF, 3 MB]
Topics include the Food and Fibre Innovation Conference, PGP Expo and other recent events, recent awards won by PGP programmes, funding to tackle erosion in Gisborne, an upcoming review of the PGP, and highlights from 2017.
- Issue 40 – October [PDF, 1.8 MB]
Topics include the 2017 Food and Fibre Innovation Conference and PGP Expo, and progress reviews for the High Performance Manuka Plantations and Lighter Wines PGP programmes.
- Issue 39 – August [PDF, 2.1 MB]
Topics include the avocado industry celebrate record season, steepland harvesting demo, TE MANA LAMB in My Food Bag, PGP programme completions, PSH PGP programme progress review, Sustainable Farming Fund round opening, Afforestation Grant Scheme results, and Earthquake Recovery Fund results.
- Issue 38 – June [PDF, 3.1 MB]
Topics include achievements across MPI’s investment programmes, including the recent launch of Te Mana Lamb, a DNA test to predict footrot in sheep, Sustainable Farming Fund celebration workshops and a trial underway to recharge the Gisborne aquifer. We also provide a Fieldays update.
- Issue 37 – April [PDF, 1.1 MB]
Topics include the first mussels harvested from SPATnz hatchery; the wrap up of the Whai Hua PGP programme; Sustainable Farming Fund celebration events; Central Plains Water Limited; spotlight on Lighter Wines; and leaf roller caterpillars and avocados.
- Issue 36 – February [PDF, 2.4 MB]
Topics include the Omega Lamb programme; Fonterra's plans to build a new mozzarella plant; new sheep milk calcium chews; completion of the Whai Hua programme; the official release of insects used for biocontrol of the tutsan weed; and managing erosion through the Hill Country Erosion Fund.
- Issue 35 - December [PDF, 1.9 MB]
Topics include the new Sheep – Horizon Three PGP programme; Fonterra’s recent announcement that it will be investing $240 million into a new mozzarella plant, and leveraging the success of the Transforming the Dairy Value Chain PGP programme.
- Issue 34 - November [PDF, 2.7 MB]
Topics include the PGP Annual Meeting, Food and Fibre Future Conference and PGP Expo; an event at the Christchurch A&P Show to celebrate the success of the Afforestation Grant Scheme to date and announce the results of the 2016 funding round; and improvements to the Erosion Control Funding Programme.
- Issue 33 - October [PDF, 1.7 MB]
Topics include the MPI Food and Fibre Conference; recognition of the work of 2 PGP programmes; the results of the Erosion Control Funding Programme round for 2016; the PGP Annual Meeting; the FoodPlus PGP programme; and a new web-based science teaching resource focused on where our food comes from.
- Issue 32 - September [PDF, 1.6 MB]
Topics include the first of 3 workshops themed ‘Shaping New Zealand’s Food and Fibre Future’; updates on the Sustainable Farming Fund, Afforestation Grant Scheme, Erosion Control Funding Programme and the Sustainable Land Management and Climate Change Research Programme.
- Issue 31 - August [PDF, 750 KB]
Topics include the announcement of the new Sheep – Horizon Three PGP programme; updates on MPI’s Afforestation Grant Scheme, Erosion Control Fund and Sustainable Land Management and Climate Change Research Programme; and Profiles of 2 PGP programmes that involve managing nutrients.
- Issue 30 - July [PDF, 1.5 MB]
Topics include a demonstration of New Zealand’s first tele-operated forest harvester under the Steepland Harvesting PGP programme; and Sustainable Farming Fund projects aimed at reducing the impacts of the Giant Willow Aphid and controlling the tomato potato psyllid.
- Issue 29 - June [PDF, 1.8 MB]
Topics include: our PGP presence at the 2016 National Fieldays; the close of the funding rounds for the Afforestation Grants Scheme and the Erosion Control Funding Programme; and PGP programme annual plans and the IAP’s and MPI’s focus on stronger reporting by programmes.
- Issue 28 - May [PDF, 3 MB]
Topics include a new environment planning tool, a demonstration of tools developed by the Clearview Innovations programme, the Maori Innovation Award winner, and a demonstration of PGP programmes. We also talk about other MPI investment programmes including the Sustainable Farming Fund, Irrigation Acceleration Fund and the Afforestation Grant Scheme.
- Issue 27 - April [PDF, 978 KB]
Topics include a profile of the Wool Unleashed (W3) programme, an April PGP workshop on collaboration to help extension activities, welcoming John Parker as the new Chair of the PGP's Investment Advisory Panel, saying farewell to Joanna Perry from the Panel, and some of her reflections on the PGP.
- Issue 26 - March [PDF, 606 KB]
Topics include the interim evaluation of the New Zealand Sheep Industry Transformation programme, the importance of commercialisation and we provide an update on the Whai Hua – New Dairy Products and Value Chains programme.
- Issue 25 - February [PDF, 1.9 MB]
Topics include the new Wool Unleashed (W3) PGP programme; the launch of the Tiaki fishing method by the Precision Seafood Harvesting programme; and we provide an update on the High Performance Manuka Plantations PGP programme.
- Issue 24 - December
Topics include a summary of some of the highlights from 2015, the importance of environmental scanning and we showcase how the PGP is fostering our next generation of primary industry superstars.
- Issue 23 - November
Topics include the Transforming the Dairy Value Chain programme showcase, welcoming Steve Smith to the independent PGP Investment Advisory Panel, and our new PGP video.
- Issue 22 - October [PDF, 656 KB]
Topics include the 2015 PGP Annual Meeting and Expo, the change to the Crown’s investment share in new PGP programmes from 1 December 2015, the progress reviews for the Marbled Grass-fed Beef and FarmIQ programmes and gene-sequencing research by LIC.
- Issue 21 - September [PDF, 836 KB]
Topics include the new Targeting New Wealth with High Health programme, recent public recognition of 3 PGP programmes, and a report on the demonstration of a remote controlled forest harvester developed by the Steepland Harvesting programme.
- Issue 20 – August [PDF, 875 KB]
Topics include achievements by the NZ Avocado Go Global programme, the need to understand what consumers perceive as important, and why PGP is about investment rather than funding.
- Issue 19 – July [PDF, 545 KB]
Topics include recent PGP achievements, the progress review for the Seeds and Nutritional Technology Development programme, improvements to the monitoring of PGP programmes, and the value of communicating intermediate programme achievements.
- Issue 18 – June [PDF, 777 KB]
Topics include social license to operate and extension, Passion2Profit programme profile
- Issue 17 – May [PDF, 709 KB]
Topics include viewing PGP as a brand, PGP environmental benefits and a profile of the Pioneering to Precision programme
- Issue 16 – April [PDF, 572 KB]
Topics include the SPATnz hatchery opening, Precision Seafood Harvesting’s snapper survivability trials and the NZ Avocados Go Global programme profile
- Issue 15 – March [PDF, 509 KB]
Topics include the Office of the Auditor-General's performance audit of the PGP and a profile of the Lifestyle Wines programme
- Issue 14 – February [PDF, 650 KB]
Topics include the PGP's contribution to Maori agri-business, the progress review for the Whai Hua – new dairy products and value chains programme, 'stop go' decisions and a profile of the Red Meat Profit Partnership programme
Media releases from MPI and PGP partners
- Warm baths and good vibrations – mussel breeding research pays off
- High value sheep milk PGP programme officially kicks off
- Sheep milk industry set to grow through new partnership
- New Primary Growth Partnership programme sets sights on strong wool
- PGP programme to launch innovative consumer research into New Zealand lamb
- Nutrient management programme hits a century
- Passion2Profit joins Primary Growth Partnership
- New Zealand Greenshell mussel breeding begins at brand new hatchery in Nelson
- MPI welcomes independent performance audit of Primary Growth Partnership
- New PGP programme to turn passion into profit
- New PGP programme serves up healthier lamb
- Remote controlled tree felling trial shows promise
- New Zealand avocados poised to Go Global
- New Zealand wine industry's largest R&D programme underway
- New programme set to transform hill country farms
- SPATnz breeding better mussels for New Zealand
- Avocados set to "Go Global" with new PGP
- Red meat sector programme formalised and set to boost farmer productivity and profitability
- High quality, lower calorie and lower alcohol wines focus of new programme
- Stump to Pump programme receives PGP funding boost
- Research initiative to rejuvenate hill country
- New dairy PGP programme Whai Hua announced
- Red Meat PGP Collaboration Programme for Greater Farmer Profitability
- Mussel breeding research pays off - 10 Apr
- Minister welcomes new sheep milk PGP programme - 25 Aug
- New PGP Investment Advisory Panel Chair announced - 27 Apr
- New PGP programme to boost wool industry - 10 Feb
- New funding balance for PGP programmes - 15 Oct
- Official start of new PGP lamb programme - 23 Sept
- Major benefits expected from new forest harvesting technology - 17 Sept
- PGP delivering much needed support to rural communities - 11 Sept
- Minister welcomes new venison PGP programme - 26 May
- More success for Primary Growth Partnership - 17 Feb
- Minister welcomes independent review of PGP - 11 Feb
- Two new PGP programmes approved - 29 Jan
- Rod Oram: Herding sheep milk's potential - (28 Aug) - Stuff website
- Government and private enterprise to spend $31.4m to develop sheep milk industry - (25 Aug) - Stuff website
- Taking remote control of NZ's forestry future - (26 Jul) - Stuff website
- European consumers offered chilled Kiwi venison in trial - (6 Apr) - Stuff website
- Transforming the dairy value chain - (9 Mar) - Stuff website
- Soil testing from the air could curb fertiliser use – (1 Dec) – One News website
- Remote tree logger aims to cut forestry deaths - (18 Sept) - Stuff website
- Remote-controlled tree felling reduces hazards - (19 Sept) - 3 News website
- Lamb marketing to receive boost in PGP programme (23 Sept) - Stuff website
- New uses for lower value venison products (23 July) – Stuff website
- Collaboration, innovation for thriving primary sector (16 July) – NZ Herald website
- The advantages of good genes (16 July) – NZ Herald website
- Projecting the right image (16 July) – NZ Herald website
- Riding the roller coaster (16 July) – NZ Herald website
- Avocados find sweet spot for surge in growth (23 June) – China Daily website
- Lupins feed crop but a pest as well (5 June) – Stuff website
- Better merino sheep in the making (8 May) – Stuff website
- Night milking producing melatonin-rich milk (29 April) – NZ Herald website
- 'Precision fishing' trial helps the tiddlers (7 April) – NZ Herald website
- There's no arguing involved in this seafood spat (6 April) – Stuff website
- Better deer health can lift profits (21 March) – Stuff website
- $41m funding for meaty projects (30 Jan) – NZ Herald website
Who to contact
If you have questions about the PGP, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback