2020 Drought Recovery Advice Fund
Find out about the 2020 Drought Recovery Advice Fund, the eligibility criteria, and how to apply.
Up to $3,500 available
The 2020 Drought Recovery Advice Fund is to help farmers recover from the 2020 drought, and plan for future droughts. It will pay for professional advice to a maximum of $3,500 (excluding GST). The fund is capped at $3.5 million (excluding GST).
Successful applicants can decide what type of drought-related advice they need. They can choose a supplier either from the pre-approved list or find their own.
Check you're eligible
To be eligible for this fund:
- the farm must be in a 2020 drought-affected region or district
- the farming business must have been negatively affected by the 2020 drought
- at least 50% of the farmer's income, in a normal year, must be earned from the farming business (land in collective Māori title is excluded from this condition).
Types of drought recovery advice
The 2020 Drought Recovery Advice Fund can help farmers get a wide range of drought-related business and technical advice. The advice can include (but is not limited to):
- stock water best practice
- feed management systems
- strategic planning, including farm business and whole farm plans
- land management and sustainable management techniques
- analysis of farm systems
- risk and recovery management
- business continuity
- modelling farm systems change scenarios
- alternate land-use options
- technical advice on soil, pastures, or animal production
- financial planning and decision support
- farm accounts analysis.
How to apply
Applications closed on 12 June 2020.
What happens next?
Successful applicants will be given instructions on how to proceed with their preferred supplier by 30 June.
Successful applicants need to receive their drought-related recovery advice by the end of the financial year (June 2021). It must also be invoiced by the end of the financial year.
If you are successful, MPI will pay for recovery advisory services of up to a maximum of $3,500 (GST excluded). Any costs incurred over the approved amount will be at your own expense.
Choosing a supplier
Farmers may choose any supplier from MPI's pre-approved list. If the desired supplier is not on this list, they will need to register with MPI to receive a payment from the fund.
Farmers may only use one supplier but the supplier can be from outside their region.
List of pre-approved suppliers
Find out more
If you have questions about this fund, email Drought2020.Recovery@mpi.govt.nz