Inshore fishing maps
Commercial inshore fishing activity
Limitations of fishing activity maps
These maps only provide an indication of fishing activity.
- show fishing methods that report at a fine scale – trawl, line, and net
- include fishing where coordinates are reported (vessels below 6m don't have to report fishing coordinates)
- provide catch values based on main species caught.
Marine protected and customary management areas
- Marine protected areas map [PDF, 7.1 MB]
- Customary fisheries management areas map [PDF, 1.6 MB]
- Individual customary management areas
Closures to protect Māui and Hector's dolphins
- North Island closure map [PDF, 1.7 MB]
- South Island west coast closure map [JPG, 7.5 MB]
- South Island south-east coast closure map [JPG, 7.4 MB]
Use our online mapping tool – NABIS
Our interactive mapping tool 'NABIS' provides maps and statistics for commercial fishing events, fishing methods, some non-commercial fishing, and restricted areas.