Antarctic Marine Living Resources permits

The Convention Area in the Southern Ocean is regulated by the Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR). New Zealanders intending to take marine organisms from this area must get a permit. Find out about the 2 types of permit and how to apply.

Two types of permits

The type of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (AMLR) permit you need to operate in the Convention Area depends on what you're planning to do.

  • For commercial and research fishing, you'll need a fishing permit.
  • To do scientific research, you'll need a research permit. 

Map of the Convention Area – CCAMLR website  [PDF, 569KB]

Follow the steps for the permit you need 

 Find out more

Who to contact 

If you have questions about AMLR permits, or to submit a fishing or research permit application: 


Post: AMLR permits
           International Fisheries Management
           International Policy
           Ministry for Primary Industries
           PO Box 2526

Last reviewed: