Your reponsibilities for food recalls
You need to:
- have procedures in place to recall food
- follow your procedures if you need to carry out a recall
- notify the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) about a recall by phoning 0800 00 83 33 and asking to speak to the food compliance services team – this should be done as soon as practicable, within 24 hours of deciding to recall a product
- recall any food that is (or may be) unsafe or unsuitable.
You must also keep records of any recall, including information on:
- the problem and the extent of the problem
- actions taken to identify and remove food from sale
- actions taken to prevent the problem from happening again
- how the recall process was monitored.
Develop a food recall plan
We have recall guidance material to help you develop a recall plan:
If you have to recall a product, you can follow our checklist: