Food importing requirements
All food imported for sale in New Zealand must be safe, fit for human consumption, uncontaminated, and imported through a registered importer.
All food must be imported by a registered food importer
If you want to import food for sale in New Zealand, you must register as a food importer with MPI or use an agent who is registered.
MPI lists registered food importers in a public database.
Food importers must ensure food is safe and suitable
All food importers are responsible for meeting the food safety requirements as set under the Food Act 2014. These include:
- confirming the safety and suitability of food they will be importing
- ensuring safe handling, storing and transporting of food
- keeping good records for traceability
- being prepared to recall food if it is not safe or suitable.
Food must meet labelling and ingredients requirements
Food for sale in New Zealand must comply with the Australia and New Zealand Food Standards Code. This sets rules about what’s allowed and not allowed in your food, and how it must be labelled when it comes to be sold.
Read MPI's 'A Guide to Food Labelling [PDF, 343 KB]
Food may need food safety clearance at the border
Some foods present a greater risk to consumers and public health. They're known as foods of high regulatory interest (HRI) or foods of increased regulatory interest (IRI).
These foods require food safety clearance and are monitored for specific hazards. The food notice 'Importing Food' lists which foods require food safety clearance and what is needed for this clearance.
Read the Food Notice: Importing Food [PDF, 583 KB]
Involved in other food activities?
If your business involves more than just importing food (like storing, transporting, or selling food in a shop) you may need to register under a national programme or food control plan as well.
Find out more
Download these guides to learn more about importing.
- Before Importing into New Zealand (overview) [PDF, 341 KB]
- Meeting requirements as a registered food importer (detail) [PDF, 369 KB]
- How to Import Food into New Zealand (overview) [PDF, 394 KB]
- Importing Food into New Zealand (details) [PDF, 201 KB]
Step by step guidance for specific food types
Who to contact
If you have any questions, contact MPI Approvals: