Approved Laboratories for testing of imported food

Find out what laboratories are approved to test different types of imported food.

Choosing a laboratory

If you are importing a food that requires Food Safety Clearance, your food may need to be tested.

This testing must be done at a laboratory approved by the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI).

Listed on this page are 'High Regulatory Interest'(HRI) and 'Increased Regulatory Interest' (IRI) foods which may need testing for Food Safety Clearance. For each food type, you can see which laboratories are approved to do the required tests.

You will need to tell a food safety officer (FSO) what lab you want to do the testing when booking an appointment for sampling. Use the lists to select which labs you want your tests sent to.

Foods that need more than one test

If your food needs several tests:

  • all applicable tests must be done before Food Safety Clearance will be granted
  • you don't have to use the same laboratory for all of them.

Contact information for all the laboratories is listed at the bottom of this web page.

The information in the lists is subject to change without notice. It is current as of 12 September 2019.

Find a lab to do your test

Last reviewed: