Animal Products Act recognised agencies and persons
Definition and requirements
Recognised agencies and persons
A recognised agency or person is a body or individual recognised under the Animal Products Act (APA) 1999 to perform specialist food safety functions and activities. These activities include the following:
- evaluating and/or verifying food businesses operating under a Risk Management Programme (RMP)
- verifying food businesses operating under a Regulated Control Scheme (RCS)
- verifying that food businesses meet certain export requirements or overseas market access requirements (OMARs)
- laboratory testing and analysis of animal material or products
- sampling for monitoring and surveillance purposes
- other functions or activities required under the APA.
Recognised agencies/persons must comply with legal requirements under the APA. These requirements are set out in Part 8 of the Act as well as in the following notices (and any amendments to those notices):
- Animal Products (Recognised Agencies and Persons Specifications) Notice 2015 [PDF, 343 KB]
- Animal Products Notice: Dairy Recognised Agencies and Persons Specifications [PDF, 574 KB] [PDF, 574 KB]
Find out more about recognised agencies and persons:
See a road map of the requirements under the Animal Products Act 1999 for recognised persons or agencies:
- Road map for recognised agencies and persons [PDF, 888 KB]
Recognised Laboratory Programme (RLP)
An RLP laboratory is recognised under Section 101 of the Animal Products Act to undertake regulatory testing of animal products. The Programme deals with provisions required by some Overseas Market Access Requirements (OMARs), Animal Products (National Microbiological Database Specifications) Notices, and other obligations.
RLP laboratories are accredited by IANZ to ISO 17025 standards for testing. The scope of this testing is defined in MPI's Consolidated list of tests for animal products, which includes meat, poultry, honey, seafood, dairy, live animals, and germplasm.
Find out more about the RLP:
- Recognised Laboratory Programme
- Animal Products (Specifications for Laboratories) Notice 2017 [PDF, 569 KB]
- IANZ accreditation
- Consolidated list of tests [PDF, 967 KB]
Keep up to date
It’s important to keep up with any new or revised information on approval for labs, agencies, and persons. This includes requirements, consultations, policies, and other content changes.
Food Act verifiers
The Food Act 2014 came into effect on 1 March 2016. Businesses looking for verifiers, and persons and agencies wanting to act as verifiers under the Food Act 2014, should check they have the appropriate recognition.
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)