Import health standards (IHS)
Find all import health standards and related information. An import health standard (IHS) is a document issued under section 24A of the Biosecurity Act 1993. An IHS states the requirements that must be met before risk goods can be imported into New Zealand.
On this page:
- Some import health standards are changing
- Importer alerts
- Revoked import health standards
- IHS guidance documents
- Find your IHS
Some import health standards are changing
16 January 2020 – Extension to second consultation on the new IHS format
MPI is currently undertaking a second consultation on the new IHS format. This consultation began on 26 November 2019 and was originally set to close on 17 January 2020. MPI has extended this consultation which will now close at 5pm on 27 February 2020.
If you have questions about the consultation, email email@example.com
Avian influenza – 25 July 2018 – Various countries.
During the transition to a new import health standard (IHS), the standards being revoked will be listed as related documents of the new IHS. You can search for any IHS using its short code, but if it's an IHS about to be revoked it will appear as a related document under the new IHS. Click on the '+' sign to see related documents (all document boxes expand to show more information).
If you can't find the IHS for your commodity, email firstname.lastname@example.org
MPI has produced guidance documents to help you meet the requirements of import health standards. While you do not have to comply with the guidance, MPI considers the guidance best practice. Where available, these are listed with the related standard. Each document box expands to reveal extra information, including links to related documents like guidance. Choose the '+' sign to expand a box.
Most IHSs also refer to the Treatment Standard.
Download the Treatment Standard (MPI-ABTRT) [PDF, 1.4 MB]
The import health standards are listed alphabetically by commodity. Use the filter below to help your search.
Note, each document box expands to reveal extra information, including links to related documents like guidance. Choose the '+' sign (to the right of the document title) to expand a box.
keywords: 152-07-01i, Clearance, Airport, flight, quarantine, containers, air, freight
keywords: camaniic.gen, camelids, lamoids, ruminants
- Specified animal products and biologicals from all countries - Import Health Standard [PDF, 233 KB]
- Scoured and dehaired cashmere from China - Import Health Standard [PDF, 15 KB]
- Scoured New Zealand/Australian origin animal fibre from People's Republic of China - Import Health Standard [PDF, 22 KB]
- Animal fibres from all countries - Import Health Standard Guidance Document [PDF, 330 KB]
- Animal Fibre from the European Union - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 68 KB]
keywords: anifibre.all, alpaca, apparel, artifacts, boas, brushtail, camel, camelid, cashmere, cultural items, decorations, doona, dream catchers, dreamcatchers, duvets, feathers, fibers, fibres, fishing flies, fur, goat, handicrafts, hair, hats, head dresses, kangaroo, lamb, lambswool, macropod, mats, mohair, pelts, pillows, quilts, rabbit, sheep, shuttle cocks, skins, sleeping bags, sleeping-bags, sliver, tops, wallaby, wool, woolpack, yak, fibunpic.all, fibsucic.all, fibscoic.all, fibcmwic.prc, fibtopic.ger, fibwooic.prc, fibfleic.all, hidmacic.aus, fibposic.aus, fibrabic.all, fibsraic.all, fibminic.uk, feacfoic.all, fibwpkic.all, fibnzoic.all, ineproic.all
- Animal products that have undergone third country processing - Import Health Standard Guidance Document [PDF, 645 KB]
- Fiji sample certificate for canned beef of Australia or New Zealand origin [PDF, 613 KB]
- Fresh, chilled and frozen salmonid products processed in Thailand - Health Certificate [PDF, 181 KB]
- Approved Source Country Salmonid Products Processed in the Philippines - Health Certificate [PDF, 561 KB]
- Canned New Zealand beef for human consumption processed in Thailand - Health Certificate [PDF, 75 KB]
- Honey and other apiculture products intended for human consumption from Canada - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 59 KB]
- Products for human consumption containing poultry meat of New Zealand origin - Zoosanitary certificate [PDF, 127 KB]
keywords: antaquic.all, aquatic animals, live, Pagothenia borchgrevinki,Trematomus bernacchii, hansoni, centronotus, nicolai, newnsi, Dissostichus mawsoni, Gymnodraco acuticeps, Chionodraco hamatus, Cryodraco antarcticus
keywords: avocado-au, avocados, avocadoes
keywords: avocado-to, avocados, avocadoes
keywords: ballastwater, vessel, boat, ship, marine
keywords: bamboo-rattan, wood products, withies, forestry, twig, tree
keywords: bark, chips, Cork, Pine, Eucalyptus, tree
keywords: meabdsic.aus, bovine, ovine, caprine, cervine
keywords: bioprodic.all, samples, animal products
- Bovine Embryos from Australia - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 358 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from the European Union - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 39 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from Canada - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 365 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from USA - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 121 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from Switzerland - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 83 KB]
- Bovine Semen and Embryos from Approved Countries - Import Health Standard Guidance Document [PDF, 1104 KB]
keywords: bovemid.gen, bull, germplasm, ruminants, buffalo, cow, in vivo