Import health standards (IHS)
Find all import health standards and related information. An import health standard (IHS) is a document issued under section 24A of the Biosecurity Act 1993. An IHS states the requirements that must be met before risk goods can be imported into New Zealand.
On this page:
- Some import health standards are changing
- Importer alerts
- Revoked import health standards
- IHS guidance documents
- Find your IHS
UPDATE – 30 July 2019
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has completed an administrative review of Import Health Standards (IHSs) for fresh fruits and vegetables for human consumption. This includes IHS 152.02 Importation and Clearance of Fresh Fruit and Vegetables into New Zealand and 99 country:commodity IHSs.
Public consultation – Have your say
As a result, MPI has transferred import requirements in existing country:commodity IHSs into a new format (commodity IHSs). From 30 July to 19 August 2019, MPI will be a public engagement. This will be to seek feedback on the format change (from 'country:commodity' IHS to 'commodity' IHS). We encourage anyone interested in importing fresh fruit and vegetables to:
- read the risk management proposal which outlines the purpose and scope of this engagement
- consider the readability of the new IHS format and the accompanying Guidance Document: Import of Fresh Fruits and Vegetables for Human Consumption, and
- submit feedback.
After the public engagement
At the end of the engagement period, we'll review all submissions received. We intend to issue the 121 commodity IHSs in late September 2019. We'll also revoke IHS 152.02: Importation and Clearance of Fresh Fruit and Vegetables for Human Consumption and 99 individual country:commodity IHSs.
Avian influenza – 25 July 2018 – Various countries. Find out more
Lumpy skin disease – 21 Aug 2015 - Greece (Evros, Xanthi, and Kavala). Find out more
During the transition to a new import health standard (IHS), the standards being revoked will be listed as related documents of the new IHS. You can search for any IHS using its short code, but if it's an IHS about to be revoked it will appear as a related document under the new IHS. Click on the '+' sign to see related documents (all document boxes expand to show more information).
If you can't find the IHS for your commodity, email firstname.lastname@example.org
MPI has produced guidance documents to help you meet the requirements of import health standards. While you do not have to comply with the guidance, MPI considers the guidance best practice. Where available, these are listed with the related standard. Each document box expands to reveal extra information, including links to related documents like guidance. Choose the '+' sign to expand a box.
Most IHSs also refer to the Treatment Standard.
Download the Treatment Standard (MPI-ABTRT) [PDF, 1.4 MB]
The import health standards are listed alphabetically by commodity. Use the filter below to help your search.
Note, each document box expands to reveal extra information, including links to related documents like guidance. Choose the '+' sign (to the right of the document title) to expand a box.
keywords: 152-07-01i, Clearance, Airport, flight, quarantine, containers, air, freight
keywords: camaniic.gen, camelids, lamoids, ruminants
- Scoured and dehaired cashmere from China - Import Health Standard [PDF, 15 KB]
- Scoured New Zealand/Australian origin animal fibre from People's Republic of China - Import Health Standard [PDF, 22 KB]
- Specified animal products and biologicals from all countries - Import Health Standard [PDF, 225 KB]
- Animal fibres from all countries - Import Health Standard Guidance Document [PDF, 330 KB]
- Animal Fibre from the European Union - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 68 KB]
keywords: anifibre.all, alpaca, apparel, artifacts, boas, brushtail, camel, camelid, cashmere, cultural items, decorations, doona, dream catchers, dreamcatchers, duvets, feathers, fibers, fibres, fishing flies, fur, goat, handicrafts, hair, hats, head dresses, kangaroo, lamb, lambswool, macropod, mats, mohair, pelts, pillows, quilts, rabbit, sheep, shuttle cocks, skins, sleeping bags, sleeping-bags, sliver, tops, wallaby, wool, woolpack, yak, fibunpic.all, fibsucic.all, fibscoic.all, fibcmwic.prc, fibtopic.ger, fibwooic.prc, fibfleic.all, hidmacic.aus, fibposic.aus, fibrabic.all, fibsraic.all, fibminic.uk, feacfoic.all, fibwpkic.all, fibnzoic.all, ineproic.all
- Animal products that have undergone third country processing - Import Health Standard Guidance Document [PDF, 645 KB]
- Fiji sample certificate for canned beef of Australia or New Zealand origin [PDF, 613 KB]
- Fresh, chilled and frozen salmonid products processed in Thailand - Health Certificate [PDF, 181 KB]
- Approved Source Country Salmonid Products Processed in the Philippines - Health Certificate [PDF, 561 KB]
- Canned New Zealand beef for human consumption processed in Thailand - Health Certificate [PDF, 75 KB]
- Honey and other apiculture products intended for human consumption from Canada - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 59 KB]
- Products for human consumption containing poultry meat of New Zealand origin - Zoosanitary certificate [PDF, 127 KB]
keywords: antaquic.all, aquatic animals, live, Pagothenia borchgrevinki,Trematomus bernacchii, hansoni, centronotus, nicolai, newnsi, Dissostichus mawsoni, Gymnodraco acuticeps, Chionodraco hamatus, Cryodraco antarcticus
keywords: avocado-au, avocados, avocadoes
keywords: avocado-to, avocados, avocadoes
keywords: ballastwater, vessel, boat, ship, marine
keywords: bamboo-rattan, wood products, withies, forestry, twig, tree
keywords: bark, chips, Cork, Pine, Eucalyptus, tree
keywords: meabdsic.aus, bovine, ovine, caprine, cervine
keywords: bioprodic.all, samples, animal products
- Bovine Embryos from Australia - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 358 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from the European Union - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 39 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from Canada - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 365 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from USA - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 121 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from Switzerland - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 83 KB]
- Bovine Semen and Embryos from Approved Countries - Import Health Standard Guidance Document [PDF, 1104 KB]
keywords: bovemid.gen, bull, germplasm, ruminants, buffalo, cow, in vivo
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)