Proposed changes to the approved maintenance compounds (non-dairy) manual
Update – 26 August 2020
This consultation closed on 17 July 2020.
Updates to the Approved Maintenance Compounds (Non-Dairy) Manual include:
- Addition of Generically Approved Hand Sanitiser;
- C 31 and C 38 consolidated to C 31 only; and
- Amendment to C 42 Conditions.
This manual only applies to maintenance compounds used by operators processing non-dairy animal products who are operating under the Animal Products Act (APA) regime. Of paramount importance is the protection of edible product from the effects of chemical substances which could contaminate the product as a consequence of odours and residues remaining on food contact surfaces.
MPI has also released a summary of submissions received during the consultation.
Summary of submissions [PDF, 206 KB]
Have your say
New Zealand Food Safety is seeking feedback on the proposed changes to the Guidance document – Approved maintenance compounds (non-dairy) manual.
The proposed changes are part of our regular review process to make sure documents are up to date. Tell us what you think about the proposed changes that include:
- addition of a generically approved hand sanitiser under 4.1.10 as a result of the COVID-19 response which will be maintained into the future
- consolidation of approved maintenance compounds C31 and C38 to C31 only
- amendments to C42 conditions to clarify its use.
Refer to the current guidance document:
Approved maintenance compounds (non-dairy) manual [PDF, 630 KB]
Making your submission
Email your feedback on the draft document by 5pm on 17 July 2020.
Make sure you tell us in your submission:
- the title of the consultation document
- your name and title
- your organisation's name (if you are submitting on behalf of an organisation, and whether your submission represents the whole organisation or a section of it)
- your contact details (such as phone number, address, and email).
Let us know:
- whether the level of detail is appropriate
- whether there are areas that need more guidance
- any additional feedback.
Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage you to use the submissions template:
Submission template [DOCX, 82 KB]
While we prefer email, you can post your submission to:
Ministry for Primary Industries
PO Box 2526
Submissions are public information
Note, that any submission you make becomes public information. People can ask for copies of submissions under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA says we have to make submissions available unless we have a good reason for withholding it. That is explained in sections 6 and 9 of the OIA.
Tell us if you think there are grounds to withhold specific information in your submission. Reasons might include that it's commercially sensitive or it's personal information. However, any decision MPI makes to withhold information can be reviewed by the Ombudsman, who may tell us to release it.