Proposed listeria management procedures for dual operator butchers
Update – 21 April 2017
Following consultation, the revised 'Attachment U - Listeria Management Procedures for Wholesale Butchers Who Sell Ready-to-Eat Animal Products' and 'How to use Attachment U – Listeria Management Procedures for Wholesale butchers Who Sell Ready-to-Eat Animal Products', have been published. A summary of the submissions received during the consultation is also available.
- Attachment U – Listeria Management Procedures for Wholesale Butchers Who Sell Ready-to-Eat Animal Products [PDF, 543 KB]
- How to use Attachment U – Listeria Management Procedures for Wholesale butchers Who Sell Ready-to-Eat Animal Products [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Summary of submissions for Attachment U [PDF, 315 KB]
Background to consultation
The Animal Products Notice: Specifications for products intended for human consumption 2016 introduced new requirements for the management of Listeria monocytogenes (listeria) for operators of certain ready-to-eat animal products.
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has developed listeria management procedures (Attachment U) to help dual operator butchers to meet these requirements. Attachment U is intended to be completed by butchers and incorporated into their risk management programme template for dual operator butchers (the template).
MPI intends to update and review the current template (2005), and will include Attachment U as part of this process.
Have your say
MPI invites you to comment on both:
- Attachment U – Listeria management procedures
- the guidance document: How to use Attachment U – Listeria management procedures.
MPI is particularly interested in your feedback on these questions:
- Is the level of detail appropriate for dual operator butchers?
- Are the technical aspects correct?
- Are the procedures practical and achievable for dual operator butchers?
- Are there any areas that require additional guidance?
- Draft - Attachment U – Listeria management procedures [PDF, 576 KB]
- Draft – How to Use Attachment U – Listeria management procedures [PDF, 1.1 MB]
Making your submission
Email your feedback on the consultation documents by 5pm, 30 March 2017 to email@example.com
We encourage you to use the submissions template:
- Submissions template [DOCX, 811 KB]
While we prefer email, you can post your submission to:
DOB Listeria Management Procedures Submission
Ministry for Primary Industries
PO Box 2526
Submissions are public information
Any submission you make becomes public information. Anyone can ask for copies of all submissions under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA says we must make the information available unless we have a good reason for withholding it. You can find those grounds in sections 6 and 9 of the OIA. Tell us if you think there are grounds to withhold specific information in your submission. Reasons might include, it's commercially sensitive or it's personal information. However, any decision MPI makes to withhold information can be reviewed by the Ombudsman, who may require the information be released.