Authorisation of ACVMs
Find out about getting agricultural compounds and veterinary medicines (ACVMs) authorised for import, manufacture, sale, or use in New Zealand.
ACVM products must be authorised
If you want to import, manufacture, sell, or use an ACVM in New Zealand, it must be authorised under the Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines (ACVM) Act 1997 and Regulations.
Authorisation of ACVMs may be through:
- registration – for products that need individual assessment and approval
- exemption – for certain products that have already been assessed as a group.
Authorisation is part of the ACVM risk management process.
- Risk management under the ACVM Act overview [PDF, 269 KB]
- Post-ACVM authorisation risk management overview [PDF, 446 KB]
Find out if your product is an ACVM
ACVMs are agricultural compounds – substances used to manage the health and growth of plants and animals.
If you’re not sure whether your product is an agricultural compound, a class determination will tell you its status under the Act.
If your product is not an ACVM, you don't have any obligations under the ACVM Act, but other legislation may still apply.
Get your product authorised
If you’re not familiar with ACVM processes, you may not know where to start. Check these pages first:
- Agricultural chemicals – covers most products for plants
- Veterinary medicines – covers most products for animals
- Vertebrate toxic agents – covers most products that limit the viability of animals
If you find that you need to register your product, you may wish to hire a consultant to help you. As the regulatory body, MPI cannot provide consultation through the registration process.
Listed consultants are not MPI-endorsed. They nominate their own areas of expertise – select the relevant area from the drop-down list.
Find out more
It’s important to keep up with any new or revised ACVM information, including requirements, consultations, policies, and other content changes.
Who to contact
If you have questions about ACVMs, email email@example.com
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback