Getting an agricultural chemical authorised

Find out about the different types of authorisation for agricultural chemicals.

Authorisation for agricultural chemicals

If you want to import, manufacture, sell, or use an agricultural chemical in New Zealand, it must be authorised under the Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines (ACVM) Act and Regulations.

There are 4 types of authorisation for agricultural chemicals.


This authorises a specific trade name product. This type of authorisation applies to most agricultural chemicals.

Provisional registration 

This lets you do trial work in New Zealand to get information on an intended trade name product. It can be used to help you decide if you should register the product in New Zealand.

Exemption from registration 

Certain product types or groups are exempt from registration, subject to conditions in the ACVM Regulations.

Approval in special circumstances 

This allows agricultural chemicals to be used under strict conditions without registration or provisional registration.

Conditions of authorisation

When your product has been authorised, you must comply with any conditions on that authorisation. These conditions may affect some activities when:

Last reviewed:
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback