Registering an agricultural chemical

Find out what information you need to provide to the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) to register an agricultural chemical or change an existing registration.

About registration

Registration authorises your product for import, manufacture, sale, or use in New Zealand. It is an approval to market a trade name product.

All registered agricultural chemicals have some conditions on their registration to manage risks. For example, they must be manufactured according to the specifications approved during registration.

How to register your product

To register your agricultural chemical, you need to fill out the application form and send it to us along with the required information outlined in the information requirements document and on the application form

You'll need to provide a completed product data sheet. Follow our guideline for help completing it.

Use the renewal of registration form if it's an application to renew registration of a product.

Specific information requirements

You may need other documents and information specific to your application, relating to:

  • data protection
  • biosecurity
  • chemistry
  • manufacturing
  • crop safety
  • residues
  • efficacy
  • labelling. 

Find out what you need in Information requirements to register agricultural chemicals in NZ. You can download required documents from our documents web page.

Agcarm also has a labelling guide for its members.

If your product has an active ingredient that has not been assessed in New Zealand before, a maximum residue level (MRL) may need to be set. We'll do this as part of your application.

Consider using a consultant

If you are unsure how to register your product, consider hiring a consultant to help you. As the regulatory body, the MPI can't provide consultation services through the registration process. Listed consultants are not MPI-endorsed. They nominate their own areas of expertise – check the key at the bottom of the consultants list.

Data assessment

Before an application can be processed, MPI or a third party assesses all required data. This is generally quicker if you use an independent assessor.

Data assessment reports must be done by an independent assessor. You can't use in-house assessors or assessors related to your company. Your registration consultant can't also be your data assessor.

It is your responsibility to ensure that the person doing the data assessment has appropriate qualifications. If a data assessor is not on our list below, you must include their CV with your application.

Templates for data assessment reports are available in our list of agricultural chemicals documents.

If you think you may not need to provide some of the required information, read:

How to request a change

To make a change to your product registration, you need 2 forms:

Download the relevant form from the list of documents.

What we charge

Last reviewed:
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback