Using agricultural chemicals

Find out about requirements for using agricultural chemicals. Topics include research, testing, and teaching organisations, using agricultural chemicals on your own plants, and what to do when things go wrong.

General advice

When you are using agricultural chemicals, we recommend that you

  • follow label instructions carefully
  • store or dispose of the product safely. 

Human health and environmental concerns are handled by the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA).

Research, testing, and teaching organisations (RTTOs)

If your organisation regularly carries out research, testing, or teaching with agricultural chemicals, you can ask MPI for approval of your operating plan, instead of having to get authorisations for every ACVM product you use.

You may require an approved operating plan to meet product registration conditions. If you need an approved operating plan, use the following template and application form.

Own use of agricultural chemicals

You may treat your own plants using generic chemicals that aren't marketed as agricultural chemicals. But you must make sure that chemical residues don't accumulate in produce you sell for human consumption.

If you are doing research to get data for product registration, you must get provisional registration or research approval (a type of special circumstances authorisation).

If something goes wrong

If something goes wrong or you have an unexpected outcome (including a lack of efficacy) after using a registered agricultural chemical, let us know.

Last reviewed:
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback