Authorisation of VTAs under special circumstances
Find out what situations qualify as special circumstances and how to apply for authorisation.
Situations that are special circumstances
Most vertebrate toxic agents (VTAs) are authorised through registration. However, a product may sometimes be authorised under special circumstances if:
- there is no suitable equivalent product in New Zealand
- you want to do research or testing on a VTA that is not a trade name product (TNP)
- it will be used under an operating plan that the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) approves.
How to get authorisation
Detailed information on getting authorisation under special circumstances is available in our guidance document.
When there is no suitable product in New Zealand
If there is no suitable authorised product in New Zealand, under special circumstances MPI may allow the import, manufacture, sale, or use of unauthorised VTAs without registration.
Download and complete the Special circumstances: Import approval request form and send to us along with any other required information. Section 4 of the Guidance document: Special circumstances approval tells you what other information you need to provide.
- Special circumstances: Import approval request form [DOC, 733 KB]
To do research on non-trade name products
You need approval in special circumstances to do research or testing on a VTA that is not a TNP.
For research approval, you need to fill out the application form (product data sheet) and send it to us along with all the required information. Research approval in New Zealand will help you through the process and tell you what information to provide.
- Research approval in New Zealand [PDF, 91 KB]
- Product data sheet for research approval [DOC, 528 KB]
- Find out about research on TNPs
To use under an approved operating plan
Some VTAs may be authorised for use in special circumstances if MPI approves an operating plan (a document that describes the types of activities that you'll be carrying out, and how you'll control them). For example, a substance may be needed to manage an exotic organism that has arrived in New Zealand.
- Guidelines for ACVM operating plans [PDF, 126 KB]
- Approved operating plans for the ACVM Act – NZ Legislation website
What we charge
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)