Authorisation of veterinary medicines under special circumstances
Find out how to get a veterinary medicine authorised under special circumstances.
Situations that are special circumstances
Most products are authorised through registration. However, in some cases a product may be authorised under special circumstances in the following situations:
- there is no suitable product in New Zealand
- you want to do research or testing on a veterinary medicine that is not a trade name product (TNP)
- it will be used under an operating plan that the Director-General of MPI (the Ministry for Primary Industries) approves.
How to get authorisation
Detailed information on getting authorisation under special circumstances is available in our guidance document.
When there is no suitable product in New Zealand
If there is no suitable authorised product in New Zealand, under 'special circumstances' the Director-General of MPI may allow the import, manufacture, sale or use of unauthorised veterinary medicines without registration.
Download and complete the Special circumstances: Import approval request form and send to us along with any other required information. Section 4 of the Guidance document: Special circumstances approval tells you what other information you need to provide.
- Special circumstances: Import approval request form [DOC, 493 KB]
To do research on non-trade name products
You need approval in special circumstances to do research or testing on a veterinary medicine that is not a trade name product (TNP).
For research approval, fill out the application form (product data sheet) and send it to us with all the required information. Research approval in New Zealand will help you through the process and tell you what information to provide.
- Research approval in New Zealand [PDF, 91 KB]
- Product data sheet for research approval [DOC, 528 KB]
- ACVM research standard [PDF, 36 KB]
- Find out more about research on TNPs
To use a product under an approved operating plan
Some agricultural compounds may be authorised for use in special circumstances if the Director-General of MPI approves an operating plan. For example, if a substance is needed to manage an exotic disease or organism that is threatening New Zealand.
What we charge
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback