Provisional registration of a veterinary medicine
Find out what information you need to give us if you want to provisionally register a veterinary medicine.
What provisional registration is
Provisional registration means authorisation to do trial work in New Zealand with an intended trade name product. This may be to :
- get more information on that product (for example, about its efficacy, safety, or residue levels) and determine whether it should be registered in New Zealand, or
- perform general research or trials required for registration of the product in another country.
You can only use these products for the purposes in the provisional registration. You're not allowed to market them.
Provisional registration is necessary for trial work on agricultural compounds that:
- aren't registered, or
- are registered for a different purpose or use, and off-label use is prohibited under the conditions of registration.
Products that can be provisionally registered
Provisional registration can be issued only for intended trade name products (TNPs).
A TNP is:
- in the formulation (or not materially different from the formulation) that will be specified in a future application to register the product
- intended to be marketed under a specified trade name
- packaged or has (or will have) packaging specifications for marketing in New Zealand.
To do trial work on an agricultural compound that is not a TNP, you will need approval in special circumstances (research approval) – not provisional registration.
How to provisionally register your product
To apply for provisional registration of your veterinary medicine, fill out the application form (product data sheet) and send it to us along with all the required information. Provisional registration in New Zealand will help you through the process and tells you what information you need to provide.
- Product data sheet for provisional registration [DOC, 536 KB]
- Provisional registration in New Zealand [PDF, 91 KB]
Get help from a consultant
If you are unsure of how to provisionally register your product, consider hiring a consultant to help you. As the regulatory body, MPI can't provide consultation services through the registration process.
Listed consultants are not MPI-endorsed . They nominate their own areas of expertise. Refer to the key to areas of expertise at the bottom of this list.
What we charge
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback