If you carry out operations such as cooking, canning, smoking, or acidification, MPI provides guidance to help you meet the requirements of the legislation.
Information for manufacturers
The following information can be used by all manufacturers, whether they operate under the Food Act or the Animal Products Act (APA) 1999. It includes links to guidance on managing good operating practice and process control.
Commercial sterilisation of canned products
If you undertake commercial sterilisation of low-acid canned foods, you can operate under the Food Act or the APA. The legislation you operate under depends on the composition of the product and on whether it's intended for export.
If you operate under the Food Act, you need to meet the legal requirements set out in the Food (Safety) Regulations 2002. Requirements specify how you can manufacture products, following one of the listed international codes. They also specify the need for supervision by staff with certain qualifications. Refer particularly to regulations 13, 14, and 15.
If you operate under the APA, the specific legal requirements are contained in the following Notice. This Notice came into effect on 1 April 2016. It defines and describes requirements for thermal processing of low-acid canned products.
- Animal Products Notice: Specifications for Products Intended for Human Consumption 2016 [PDF, 2.7 MB]
- Coversheet [PDF, 74 KB]
- Quick reference table for old and new clause numbering [PDF, 131 KB]
Further processing Code of Practice
The Further processing Code of Practice (COP) includes guidance on meat and seafood operations carried out under the APA. Operations include the following:
- manufacturing dried or reduced-water activity products
- smoking or acidification
- high-pressure processing.
This COP helps manufacturers of animal (and other) products meet the requirements for these processes. It also contains guidance for good operating practices (GOPs).
Download the Further processing Code of Practice:
- Entire document [PDF, 539 KB]
- Part 1: Overview [PDF, 105 KB]
- Part 2: Regulatory requirements [PDF, 146 KB]
- Part 3: Good operating practice [PDF, 361 KB]
- Part 1: Heat treatment [PDF, 1 MB]
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback