Dual operator butchers
Dual operator butchers (DOB) are retail butchers who also process or sell regulated animal products, homekill or recreational catch. These butchers must follow the Animal Products Act (APA) 1999 and the Food Standards code.
Defining 'dual operator butcher'
You are a dual operator butcher (DOB) if you:
- operate a retail butchery that processes and/or sells regulated animal products
- process homekill or recreational catch at the same premises or place as your retail butchery.
The phrase 'same premises or place' can apply to a wide range of possible situations. Find out more in this statement of policy.
Preventing cooked or ready-to-eat (RTE) foods from becoming contaminated by other activities in your shop is the most important of your food safety activities. Cross-contamination can happen in several ways, such as when:
- there is direct contact between cooked and raw meat
- cooked food is placed on dirty surfaces
- someone touches cooked food after handling raw product.
Preventing cross-contamination in butcher shops [PDF, 503 KB]
Complying with the Animal Products Act
The APA regime for DOBs includes the following documents. Refer to these to find out the requirements you need to meet.
You also need to meet standards under the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code ("the Code"). This applies to all food. Refer especially to Parts 1 and 2.2 for requirements that apply to DOBs. You can find a link to the Code and user guides on the Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) website:
Meeting requirements under the Animal Products Act
As part of the APA regime requirements, dual operator butchers must
- develop and operate under a verified risk management programme (RMP)
- be listed with MPI as a homekill recreational catch service provider.
Developing your RMP
MPI offers an RMP template to help dual operator butchers develop and document their RMP. Alternatively, you may write your own or get a consultant to assist you. Note that this approach requires additional external evaluation, which must be carried out by a recognised RMP evaluator.
- Entire document [PDF, 437 KB]
- Entire document [DOCX, 231 KB]
- Checklist for completing and registering an RMP based on the dual operator butcher template [PDF, 23 KB]
- Resource manual [PDF, 355 KB]
- Approval for the risk management programme template for dual operator butchers [PDF, 26 KB]
- Attachment U – Listeria management procedures for wholesale butchers who sell ready-to-eat animal products [PDF, 543 KB]
- Approval for attachment U [PDF, 267 KB]
- Guidance document: How to use attachment U [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Attachment V – Listeria Testing Procedures for wholesale butchers who sell ready-to-eat animal products for consumption by vulnerable populations [PDF, 495 KB]
- Approval of Attachment V as a template RMP [PDF, 264 KB]
Verifying your RMP
Your RMP needs to be verified to ensure that it is meeting requirements. Verification is carried out by a recognised agency.
Currently only MPI Verification Services is recognised to verify this sector.Recognised verification agencies – Animal products excluding dairy
Listing as a homekill and recreational catch service provider
When you apply to MPI to register your RMP, you also need to apply to be listed as a homekill and recreational catch service provider. Once accepted, your details are added to the publicly available listing. Find out more:
Submitting your application
Use the AP4 application form to register your RMP and apply to be listed as a homekill and recreational catch service provider.
- Registration of RMP – AP4 application form [PDF, 426 KB]
Download the form, complete it, and mail it back to MPI together with the fee and other documentation. (Note: the AP4 application form has replaced the AP3 application form.)
Your RMP application must include:
- your RMP details
- a statement from a recognised verification agency confirming that it will regularly undertake verification of your RMP
- an evaluation report from an RMP consultant – this is only required if you did not develop your RMP using the dual operator butcher RMP template
- a completed AP4 application form
- your application fee.