Registering for the National Microbiological Database (NMD) programme
If you're a primary processor of meat, poultry, game, or ratites (such as emus), you must register in the National Microbiological Database (NMD) programme and get samples from your premises regularly tested.
Who needs to register
You must register your premises with the NMD programme if you are a primary processor of:
- cattle (and other bovine animals)
- bobby calves
You are a primary processor if you receive live animals for slaughter, dressing or processing into products for human consumption. This applies whether the animal products are for export or for sale in New Zealand.
How to register
To register in the NMD programme you need to fill out an NMD demographic form with:
- contact details for your premises
- information about the lab that does your testing
- details of animal processing.
You need to complete a separate form for each animal type.
Find out more
- Animal Products (Specifications for National Microbiological Database Programme) Notice [PDF, 1.2 MB]
- Requirements once you're registered in the NMD
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)