Egg production and processing food safety
If your food business produces, processes, sells or exports eggs or egg products for human consumption, these are the legal requirements for food safety and suitability you must meet.
This page covers the legal requirements for eggs and egg products for human consumption. If you're producing eggs for animal consumption, refer to the separate legal requirements for pet food:
Key requirements for egg producers and processors
The legal requirements that apply to your business depend what you are doing. Read a brief summary and then refer to the webpages relevant to your business to find out the specific requirements:
- Egg legislation roadmap [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- egg producers must comply with the Animal Products Act 1999
- unless they're exempt, primary processors (those who harvest, candle, grade, and pack eggs) must operate a registered risk management programme (RMP) under the Animal Products Act
- secondary processors (those who break eggs and make egg products) must operate under a registered food control plan (FCP) under the Food Act 2014, except where they are exporting with an official assurance (in which case, they must operate a registered risk management programme (RMP) under the Animal Products Act
- all egg processors must comply with the Animal Products Act and the Food Act.
You'll need to be familiar with both the Animal Products and Food Acts, and their related legislation (for example, regulations, specifications, notices, and standards).
Find out more the Animal Products Act 1999 and Food Act 2014:
You may also have to comply with non-food legislation. Find out about the other requirements that may apply:
All finished products intended for human consumption must also comply with Part 1 of the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code:
You may also wish to check international guidelines for secondary processors in countries such as Australia, Canada, Britain, and the United States. For example, you can use clause 3 of FSC Standard 1.6.2 as a guide to process eggs safely.