Fish and seafood food safety codes of practice and templates
Food safety codes, risk management programme (RMP) templates and HACCP guide for fish, seafood, and shellfish, including processing, rendering, and filleting on inshore vessels.
The codes supporting seafood businesses to meet food safety requirements are for:
- processing of seafood products
- further processing
Processing of seafood products
If you're a primary or secondary processor, the code for processing seafood products provides guidance to help you meet food safety requirements.
The COP is closely aligned with or comparable to the requirements of a risk management programme (RMP) and will help you:
- meet the requirements of the Animal Products Act 1999
- produce seafood products for human consumption that are safe and suitable for their intended purpose
- meet the requirements for the development, registration and implementation of an RMP.
The New Zealand Seafood Standards Council developed the codes in consultation with MPI and the seafood industry.
- Seafood operational code [PDF, 2.5 MB]
- Part 3: HACCP application and other risk factors and controls [PDF, 126 KB]
- Generic RMP models [PDF, 568 KB]
Benefits of using the processing of seafood products code
If you follow the processing of seafood products code, you should benefit by:
- complying with current best practice or acceptable industry practices and procedures
- meeting regulatory requirements
- having simpler evaluation and external verification procedures for your RMP
- managing the risks of foodborne diseases, including listeriosis.
This code was developed to help secondary processors producing products for human consumption to meet the requirements of the Animal Products Act 1999 (APA). It contains guidance for good operating practices (GOP) for a range of secondary processing operations.
Guidance document [PDF, 1.1 MB]
Rendering code of practice (COP)
This COP applies to businesses producing rendered animal products intended for animal consumption. MPI developed the Rendering COP in consultation with industry to:
- help operators meet the requirements of the Animal Products Act 1999
- produce animal products that are safe and suitable for their purpose
- prevent animal material and animal product that is not fit for human consumption from entering the human food chain.
Rendering COP [PDF, 798 KB]
Find out more
RMP template for inshore vessels
Inshore vessels – fish filleting [PDF, 354 KB]
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)