Bivalve molluscan shellfish (BMS) operators
Operators must comply with the BMS Regulated Control Scheme (RCS). Requirements differ, depending on whether you are harvesting, transporting or storing BMS.
Requirements for operators
There are specific food safety requirements for harvest operators and operators whose work happens after BMS have been harvested. They include:
- relay operators
- sorting shed and depot operators
- depuration (cleansing) operators
- wet storage operators
- transport operators.
The BMS RCS regulations and specifications set out most of the requirements for BMS operators:
- Animal Products (Regulated Control Scheme – Bivalve Molluscan Shellfish) Regulations – NZ Legislation website
- Animal Products (Specifications for Bivalve Molluscan Shellfish) Notice [PDF, 1.1 MB]
To meet the food safety requirements for your operation, your first point of contact is your local MPI Animal Products Officer. They're responsible for:
- all of the requirements you need to meet under the BMS RCS
- ensuring the work is done.
Find out more about the requirements for harvest and post-harvest operators:
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)