Animal material depots holding meat
Find out the requirements that animal material depots must meet to hold animal material before it's transferred to a processor.
What animal material depots do
Animal material depots are used to temporarily hold wild, game estate, or farmed-gone-feral animal material (such as carcasses) prior to transfer to a primary processor who will process it.
Animal material depot operators can't process any animal material, but they can:
- apply protective coverings.
If your depot holds animal material intended for human consumption, the requirements you need to meet are set out in the Animal Products Notice: Specifications for Products Intended for Human Consumption. Part 12 is especially relevant.
- Animal Products Notice: Specifications for Products Intended for Human Consumption [PDF, 2.7 MB]
- Coversheet [PDF, 74 KB]
- Quick reference for old and new clause numbering [PDF, 131 KB]
Before you can operate an animal material depot, you must:
- undergo an initial verification by a recognised agency
- apply to be listed with the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)
You'll need to apply to be relisted every 2 years.
Verification must be done by an agency recognised by MPI. A verifier checks that your depot meets requirements.
- Find a recognised agency to carry out your verification [PDF, 124 KB]
Use the AP19 form to apply to become an animal material depot or to renew your listing. You must send your initial verification report with your completed application. Fees for listing are on the form.
- AP19 – Application for an animal depot listing [PDF, 797 KB]
Verification requirements and frequency
Once listed, you must have regular verifications by a recognised agency. You can find details of how often you will be verified in a statement of policy. Check how regularly your animal material depot needs to be verified in Schedules 1 and 2.
Find a listed animal material depot
MPI keeps a list of all animal material depots.
There are additional requirements you need to meet if your depot holds animal carcasses that, after processing, will be exported.
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)