Changing your Wine Standards Management Plan (WSMP)
If you want to change your Wine Standards Management Plan (WSMP), you must tell MPI about the change using the correct form.
Making changes to your WSMP
If you want to make a change to your WSMP you need to do the following:
- decide whether the change is a 'significant' or 'minor' amendment
- notify MPI using the appropriate form.
If you are unsure whether the amendment to your WSMP is significant or minor, contact your verifying agency for advice.
Significant changes to WSMPs
If you make a significant amendment to a registered WSMP, you must amend the plan and notify MPI of the amendment. The amendment is significant if the change means that your plan:
- is no longer appropriate to the wine, processes, premises or place covered by the plan
- impacts on whether the wine is fit for its intended purpose
- affects the content of the WSMP.
Forms: Significant WSMP changes
If you make a significant amendment to your WSMP, you need to notify MPI by completing either a WA5, WA6 or WA9 form. The form you need to complete, and any associated fees and charges, depends on the nature of the amendment.
Change of operator
Use the WA5 form Registration of wine standards management plan under new operator if you want to change the operator registered on your plan.
Under new WSMP operator: Application form WA5 [PDF, 295 KB]
Change of verifying agency
Use the WA9 form Change of recognised agency for verification purposes if you want to change the recognised agency, which verifies your WSMP.
Verifying agency change: Application form WA9 [PDF, 432 KB]
Other significant WSMP changes
Use the WA6 form Registration of significant amendments to registered wine standards management plan for other significant amendments:
- change of premises, that is, your physical address
- extension of boundary from existing WSMP site plan – unless you can give a hazard-based justification as to why the extension should be considered minor
- changes to activities as registered in your plan, such as receipt of grapes, receipt of wine or juice, winemaking, bottling, labelling or storage
- changing from making fruit wine, cider and mead to grape wine
- adding a new site to a WSMP that covers multiple sites
- adding a new business to a WSMP that covers multiple businesses
- changing from following an approved Code of Practice (COP) to an alternative programme, which requires independent evaluation.
Other significant change to WSMP: Application form WA6 [PDF, 484 KB]
Minor changes to WSMPs
Minor amendments, as defined by the Wine Act 2003:
- are of such a nature as not to require registration under section 22 of the Wine Act, which describes significant amendments
- have not been previously notified under section 22.
Form: minor change to WSMP
If you make a minor amendment to your WSMP, you need to notify MPI by completing the WA12 form Minor update to wine standards management plan.
Minor change to WSMP: Application form A12 [PDF, 482 KB]
Examples of minor amendments include:
- surrendering your WSMP
- changing your trading name
- changing the address, but not the premises, of your business – for example, if the council changes the road numbering system or you change your postal address
- changing the person responsible for your WSMP
- reduction in the boundary of your site
- changing the products you make – for example from still wine to sparkling wine, fortified wine, wine product, or wine-based liqueur
- changing from making grape wine to making fruit wine, cider and mead
- removing a site from a WSMP that covers multiple sites
- removing a business from a WSMP that covers multiple businesses.
MPI may stop wine operations
MPI can suspend any or all of your winemaking operations for a period of up to 3 months if we have grounds to believe:
- the WSMP is no longer effective
- the wine made under the WSMP no longer meets requirements of the Act.
De-registering your WSMP
MPI can de-register a WSMP.
Removing a business from a WSMP
MPI can remove a wine business from a WSMP that covers multiple businesses.
Wine Act 2003: Changes to WSMP
Read the relevant sections of the Act on the NZ Legislation website:
- Significant change to a WSMP: Section 22, Wine Act 2003
- Minor change to a WSMP: Section 23, Wine Act 2003
- MPI may stop wine operations: Section 24, Wine Act 2003
- MPI may de-register a WSMP: Section 25, Wine Act 2003
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback