Steps to a Wine Standards Management Plan (WSMP)
Use these steps to create and register your Wine Standards Management Plan (WSMP), and get it verified. This process helps winemakers follow the Wine Act 2003 and make safe, fit-for-purpose wines.
On this page:
- Step 1: Apply a WSMP code of practice and HACCP to your winery
- Step 2: Choose and confirm your WSMP verifier
- Step 3: Complete a WSMP outline and registration form
- Step 4: Send us your WSMP documents
- Step 5: Receive Notice of WSMP registration
- Step 6: Have your WSMP verified
Step 1: Apply a Wine Standards Management Plan (WSMP) Code of Practice and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) to your winery
MPI has developed WSMP Codes of Practice and HACCP guidelines in collaboration with industry to make this easy for you.
For grape wine makers
- Grape wine: Wine Standards Mananagement Plan (WSMP) Code of Practice [PDF, 614 KB]
- Grape wine: Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) guidelines [PDF, 161 KB]
For fruit wine, cider and mead makers
- Fruit wine, cider and mead: Wine Standards Management Plan (WSMP) code of practice [PDF, 271 KB]
- Fruit wine, cider and mead: Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) guidelines [PDF, 131 KB]
If you follow an approved code of practice, you will be able to meet the requirements for winemaking under the Wine Act 2003.
If you choose not to follow an approved code of practice, you will need to develop your own wine standards management plan, and you will then need to get your WSMP independently evaluated to ensure your procedures meet WSMP requirements.
You need to confirm your chosen recognised agency and verifier when you submit your WSMP documents for registration. You do this by including a letter from the recognised agency to which your verifier belongs.
You do not need to get your WSMP verified before you register, but you do need to provide information about who your verifier is when you submit your application.
- Agencies recognised to verify Wine Standards Management Plans (WSMPs)
- Persons recognised to verify Wine Standards Management Plans (WSMPs)
You need to complete and sign 2 forms:
Wine Standards Management Plan (WSMP) outline
This identifies the winemaking steps you undertake, whether or not you are following an approved code of practice, the WSMP contact person, and other legal requirements. This will be returned to you once your WSMP is registered with MPI.
- Grape wine: Wine Standards Management Plan (WSMP) outline [PDF, 238 KB]
- Cider, mead and fruit wine: Wine Standards Management Plan (WSMP) outline [PDF, 20 KB]
Wine Standards Management Plan (WSMP) registration form WA4
To register your WSMP, send (by email or the address on the form) the registration fee and the following 4 documents to MPI:
- WSMP outline
- WSMP registration form (WA4)
- A site plan (the area and boundaries that the WSMP applies to)
- A letter from your verifier's recognised agency confirming that they will verify your WSMP
- If you choose not to follow an approved code of practice, you will also need to submit your own WSMP and the independent evaluation report.
When your WSMP has been registered you will receive a Notice of registration from MPI.
Once your registration is confirmed, you may start making wine.
You need to arrange for your first Wine Standards Management Plan (WSMP) verification within 6 months of registration.
The date of your initial verification will become the anniversary date, with future verifications due during or before the end of that same calendar month each year.
If you are not making wine for export, you may qualify for reduced verification frequency, subject to your verifier's recommendation.
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)