Steps to a Wine Standards Management Plan
You must register a wine standards management plan (WSMP) before you start making wine. Follow the steps to a WSMP.
On this page:
- Step 1: Apply a WSMP code of practice and HACCP to your winery
- Step 2: Sign up a verifier
- Step 3: Complete WSMP application documents
- Step 4: Send in your WSMP for registration
- Step 5: Confirmation of WSMP registration
- Step 6: Get verified
MPI has developed WSMP codes of practice in collaboration with industry to make this easy for you:
- WSMP code of practice for grape winemakers [PDF, 614 KB]
- HACCP for grape winemakers [PDF, 161 KB]
- WSMP code of practice for fruit wine, cider and mead makers [PDF, 271 KB]
- HACCP for fruit winemakers [PDF, 131 KB]
If you follow an approved code of practice, you will be able to meet the requirements for winemaking under the Wine Act 2003.
If you choose not to follow an approved code of practice, you will need to develop your own wine standards management plan, and you will then need to get your WSMP independently evaluated to ensure your procedures meet WSMP requirements.
You need to confirm your chosen recognised agency and verifier when you submit your WSMP documents for registration. You do this by including a letter from the recognised agency to which your verifier belongs.
You do not need to get your WSMP verified before you register, but you do need to provide information about who your verifier is when you submit your application.
You need to complete and sign 2 forms:
- WSMP outline. This identifies the winemaking steps you undertake, whether or not you are following an approved code of practice, the WSMP contact person, and other legal requirements. This will be returned to you once your WSMP is registered with MPI.
- Wine standards management plan outline - grape wine [PDF, 238 KB]
- Wine standards management plan outline - fruit wine, cider and mead [PDF, 20 KB]
- WSMP application form (WA4).
- Wine standards management plan registration form [PDF, 207 KB]
To register your WSMP, send (by email or to the address on the form) the registration fee and the following 4 documents to MPI:
- Relevant WSMP outline
- WSMP application form (WA4)
- A site plan (the area and boundaries that the WSMP applies to)
- A letter from your verifier's recognised agency confirming that they will verify your WSMP
- If you choose not to follow an approved code of practice, you will also need to submit your own WSMP and the independent evaluation report.
Once your WSMP has been registered you will receive a Notice of registration from MPI
Once your registration is confirmed, you may start making wine
You need to arrange for your first WSMP verification within 6 months of registration.
The date of your initial verification will become the anniversary date, with future verifications due during or before the end of that same calendar month each year.
If you are not making wine for export, you may qualify for reduced verification frequency, subject to your verifier's recommendation.
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback