Framework for action on animal welfare
Hui identified 4 focus areas
On the 8 June 2018, an animal advocacy hui was held in Auckland. The hui was an opportunity for people to come together and have a constructive dialogue about the animal welfare issues that mattered to them.
At the end of the hui, 4 focus areas were identified:
- an independent voice for animals
- strengthening animal welfare codes so that they best uphold the Animal Welfare Act 1999
- greater transparency across the animal welfare system
- resourcing, including for monitoring and evaluation, and education and promotion of voluntary compliance.
Based on these 4 areas, a framework for action on animal welfare was developed. This framework will continue to improve the animal welfare system in Aotearoa and place us at the forefront of animal welfare matters internationally.
Framework for action on animal welfare [PDF, 268 KB]
Find out more
- Report from the hui [PDF, 440 KB]
- Government media release about the framework
- An overview of animal welfare