Smart, free-flowing information
Helping manage risk
Biosecurity 2025's third strategic direction aims to make use of the large amounts of data available, build intelligence, and use powerful data analysis to support risk management. The Direction Statement has 3 goals to achieve this.
Information is shared and open wherever possible.
We unlock the full value of information through the best data use and analysis.
Preparing for the future
We anticipate and take advantage of the ways that information technology will transform society, support participation, and enhance biosecurity effectiveness.
Outcomes – the end results
Each goal has outcomes that break down in more detail what the end results will look like. The outcomes for this strategic direction are on page 17 of the Direction Statement.
Download the Biosecurity 2025 Direction Statement [PDF, 5.1 MB]
Targets for 2025 – to drive action
To make sure the goals of the Direction Statement are achieved, the following targets were set for 2025.
- A publicly-accessible network enables electronic access to organism data held by central government agencies, regional councils and Crown research institutes. Organism data, linked together from multiple sources and including information on species name, distribution and impact, is crucial to identify and manage biosecurity risks.
- Automated and targeted alerts about emerging risks are available to all participants across the biosecurity system.
The work plan sets out the working group's view of what success would look like if the goals and outcomes are met, and the actions needed to deliver them.
Our other strategic directions
- A biosecurity team of 4.7 million
- A toolbox for tomorrow
- Effective leadership and governance
- Tomorrow's skills and assets