Becoming a dog handler
Dog handlers work with detector dogs at New Zealand's ports of entry to find biosecurity risk items that aren't allowed into the country.
To become a dog handler, you must be a fully qualified quarantine officer. Search for vacancies in the MPI Careers Centre and read the position description to find out what's involved.
- Read a quarantine officer/dog handler position description [PDF, 62 KB]
- Visit the MPI Careers Centre to check for vacancies
Dog handlers work at busy ports
Detector dog teams work in rotational shifts at all international ports of entry, for example at:
- international airports
- the International Mail Centre in Auckland
- international cargo companies
- cruise ships arriving from overseas.
Find out more
- Follow MPI detector dogs on Facebook
- About the Detector Dog Programme
- How the biosecurity system works
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback