Legal notices for Mycoplasma bovis
We place properties under different legal notices depending on the situation on the property. Find out about the types of notices and what they mean.
Notices to control the disease
To control the disease, we're issuing 2 types of legal notices to farms that are affected and farms that are suspected of being affected:
- Restricted Place Notices
- Notices of Direction.
Both types are to restrict the movement of any risk goods, including animals, out of these properties. MPI follows up all incidents of non-compliance of the notices.
Restricted Place Notices
All infected farms and farms suspected of having Mycoplasma bovis have a Restricted Place Notice (or “RP”) in place.
- The RP prohibits all unauthorised movements of farm stock and other risk goods onto and off the property. This minimises the chance of the disease spreading from the property.
- Any movement of cattle requires a permit from MPI.
- Transport vehicles must follow a cleaning and disinfection process when they leave a restricted place.
- Staff from AsureQuality (MPI's managing partner for biosecurity) are ensuring that cleaning, disinfecting, and permit requirements are met.
A Restricted Place Notice is issued under section 130 of the Biosecurity Act 1993.
Notices of Direction
MPI issues a Notice of Direction (NoD) to farms when an authorised person believes that taking stock and other risk goods from a property could spread Mycoplasma bovis.
- The NoD aims to prevent further spread and doesn't restrict movement of stock or goods onto the farm.
- Cattle can only move off the farm with a permit.
- Other steps may be required (cleaning and disinfecting of vehicles).
MPI may issue a NoD when animals from infected properties move to that property, but testing has not happened yet. We may also issue the NoD if test results are still pending. A Notice of Direction is issued under section 122 of the Biosecurity Act 1993.
We've prepared some flow charts to help you follow the process:
- when a farm is under surveillance [PDF, 316 KB]
- for Notices of Direction [PDF, 229 KB]
- for Restricted Place Notices [PDF, 391 KB]
Note, the flow charts show the simplified processes. Each farm is different and some details will vary on a case-by-case basis.
A map of properties under legal controls
This map shows properties (as at 31 August 2018) under:
- Restricted Place Notices (including infected properties)
- Notices of Direction.
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback