Have your say
This consultation is about a proposal to maintain and expand New Zealand Food Safety's services under the Food Act 2014 which provide education, oversight, rules, and monitoring services. We are also seeking views on whether these services should be cost recovered from the industries that benefit from them.
We want your feedback on:
- the proposals to expand some services that are required to support a robust food safety system
- 2 levies that will be used to fund the proposed services.
A summary of the cost recovery proposals is on this page. Full details are in the consultation document.
Consultation opened on 2 February and closes on 15 March 2024.
Summary of cost recovery proposals for the expanded services
|Domestic food business levy
(from the 2025/26 financial year)
|Food importer levy
(from the 2024/25 financial year)
|2025: $57.50 per site
|A flat fee of $67.50 for importing between 0 (zero) and 49,999kg of food; thereafter $0.57 per tonne of imported food
|Number of affected businesses
|35,300 businesses registered under the Food Act
|3,774 registered businesses
|+$5.6 million (by 2027)
Making your submission
To help you with your review and feedback, we have put together the consultation questions in a submission form. However, these questions should not be considered a limitation on what parts of the proposal you comment on in your submission. You also only need to provide comment on the questions relevant to you.
You can make a submission by:
- completing our online survey
- completing a submission form and sending it to us by email
- writing a submission and emailing or posting it to us.
Submissions must be received by 5pm on 15 March 2024.
Download the form and add in your comments.
Attach your completed form to an email and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Download, print, and complete the submission form. If you run out of space, attach extra paper.
When you make your submission, include:
- the title of this consultation (Proposal to maintain and expand New Zealand Food Safety’s core regulatory services under the Food Act 2014).
- your name and title
- your organisation's name (if applicable) and whether your submission represents the whole organisation or a section of it
- your contact details (for example, phone number, address, email).
Post it to:
Cost Recovery Directorate – Corporate Branch
Ministry for Primary Industries
PO Box 2526
Alternatively, you could scan your written submission, attach the file to an email and send it to email@example.com