Building connections in rural communities
The Rural Community Hubs programme helps isolated and vulnerable communities. MPI has provided support and seed funding to help establish 32 hubs throughout New Zealand. The hubs have taken a community-led development approach, with communities owning and driving their own solutions.
The objectives are to strengthen rural communities' resilience and wellbeing by:
- reducing the isolation of rural communities
- increasing connectedness within a rural community
- enhancing community access to government and non-government services and support
- supporting community initiatives that will be enduring over the long-term.
The funding available for this programme has been allocated and MPI is not accepting any new funding applications. We continue to work with active hubs to support them to access other sources of funding and support.
Making an impact – key outcomes
Since the first rural community hub was set up in December 2019, the programme has contributed to expanded access to services and strengthened connections in many rural communities.
Examples of what has been achieved includes:
- conducting surveys and needs assessments then developing a community resilience or wellbeing plan
- providing training opportunities that improve employment prospects, including first aid, chainsaw safety, and small engine maintenance
- running workshops and courses on small business skills development, financial literacy, project management, leadership and digital literacy
- running a range of activities and events to promote community connectedness and help to develop networks
- assisting whānau, marae and communities to grow their own food
- offering support for health and social service navigation, running rongoa wānanga and opening a drop-in centre to improve health and wellbeing.
Hubs have been set up around NZ
We funded the first Rural Community Hub in December 2019. A total of 32 hubs have received a grant. Read the case studies about 3 hubs that are up and running.
Case study: Ruakituri Rural Community Hub [PDF, 1.4 MB]
Case study: Wairau Valley Community Hub [PDF, 882 KB]
Case study: Initiative helps connect rural mothers in Tasman [PDF, 1.8 MB]
Who to contact
If you have questions about Rural Community Hubs, email email@example.com