Rural Community Hubs
Rural Community Hubs is a programme to help rural communities respond to the challenges they face. Find out how to apply for funding to start a hub.
On this page:
- Building connections in rural communities
- Funding available to start a hub
- How to apply for funding
- Hubs are spreading across NZ
- Who to contact
The Rural Community Hubs programme is to help isolated and vulnerable communities. The aim is to strengthen their resilience and wellbeing by:
- building social connections to support their ability to adjust and respond positively to change
- improving employment prospects through training opportunities
- promoting activities that encourage social inclusion and help develop networks.
Rural Community Hubs – fact sheet [PDF, 942 KB]
Community groups and organisations can get funding to help establish a hub.
The money can be used to employ a part-time coordinator to:
- assist with running activities
- write a work plan
- set up appropriate support activities.
Community support is crucial. You'll need creative, dedicated people from the community to lead the project. They can help make sure it can continue beyond the start-up funding.
Communities that have funding from another source (like economic development) can also apply for this funding.
What you will need to start a hub
Communities seeking funding to establish a Rural Community Hub should have:
- a motivated and committed group with strong leadership to drive the project
- a plan to improve community connections and access to wellbeing services
- a list of priority issues and problems in the community that need solutions
- a desire to seek additional support, including funding, grants, sponsorship, or donations, to ensure the project’s long-term sustainability.
You'll need to write and submit a formal Expression of Interest (EOI).
The EOI should include:
- background about your community
- your goals and aspirations for the hub
- an outline of what the funding will be used for and what it will achieve.
You might want to talk to us about your plans before you submit an EOI.
To discuss your hub or submit your EOI, email email@example.com
We funded the first Rural Community Hub in December 2019. There are now hubs across New Zealand like one started by the Tapawera Connect Trust to help mothers.
Initiative helps connect rural mothers in Tasman [PDF, 1.8 MB]
If you have questions about Rural Community Hubs, email firstname.lastname@example.org