The food adviser hub
Advice and support for people wanting to start, grow, change, or manage a new food business.
On this page:
- Fact sheets for new businesses
- Step-by-step guide for new food businesses
- Video for new food businesses
- Importing and exporting food
- Changing, closing, or selling a food business
If you're thinking of making or selling food, these fact sheets will help you understand the requirements.
- What to consider before you start a food business [PDF, 133 KB]
- People you may need to contact when starting a food business [PDF, 241 KB]
- Industry help for new food businesses [PDF, 219 KB]
- Getting started making and selling food [PDF, 164 KB]
- Do you want to make and sell food? [PDF, 346 KB]
The notebook is a detailed, step-by-step guide for new food businesses. It includes information on:
- where to find out which food rules apply to a type of business
- creating a food control plan or national programme
- finding a verifier.
The notebook – for businesses making and selling food [PDF, 916 KB]
Thinking of starting to import food as a business? [PDF, 280 KB]
Sending food overseas as a business [PDF, 284 KB]
Sending food overseas as a business (Hindi and Chinese)
If you want to change or grow your business, our flow chart can help you decide what to do.
Change or grow your business [PDF, 177 KB]
People planning to make changes to their business need to inform their registration authority. This will either be New Zealand Food Safety or their local council.
If you're using a custom food control plan (including a My Food Plan), refer to:
If you want to close or sell your business, check our fact sheet.
Closing or selling your business [PDF, 176 KB]
Do you have suggestions for new topics?
We want to hear from you if you:
- want a new topic added
- want more information on an existing topic
- have some insights on gaps in our information.
Email your suggestions to email@example.com