The food adviser hub
Advice and support for people wanting to start, grow, change, or manage a new food business.
On this page:
- Fact sheets for new businesses
- Step-by-step guide for new food businesses
- Video for new food businesses
- Importing and exporting food
- Changing, closing, or selling a food business
If you're thinking of making or selling food, these fact sheets will help you understand the requirements.
- What to consider before you start a food business [PDF, 133 KB]
- People you may need to contact when starting a food business [PDF, 241 KB]
- Industry help for new food businesses [PDF, 219 KB]
- Getting started making and selling food [PDF, 164 KB]
- Do you want to make and sell food? [PDF, 346 KB]
The notebook is a detailed, step-by-step guide for new food businesses. It includes information on:
- where to find out which food rules apply to a type of business
- creating a food control plan or national programme
- finding a verifier.
The notebook – for businesses making and selling food [PDF, 916 KB]
[Video begins. During the video, the narrator speaks while shots of food being prepared in a commercial kitchen are shown.]
Narrator: "Starting a new food business is exciting. MPI have some steps for starting your business and making food in a safe and suitable way."
"Step 1: Rules
"There are certain rules you must follow depending on the food you make and sell. We have these rules to stop people getting sick or even dying.
"Step 2: Plan
"You then need to create a plan for how you will make food safely. Depending on the type of food you make, you will need to work under either a Food Control Plan or a National Programme.
"Step 3: Engage your expert
"Once you’re up and running, you will need to get checked. Find or choose your expert. You need to have confirmed who will check your business before you register.
"Step 4: Register
"Your food business needs to be registered before you start selling food. You will need to register with MPI or your local council.
"For more info visit our website."
[The following text appears of the screen: www.mpi.govt.nz/nzfoodsafety. The logo appears for: 'New Zealand Food Safety – Ministry for Primary Industries – Manatū Ahu Matua']
Thinking of starting to import food as a business? [PDF, 280 KB]
Sending food overseas as a business [PDF, 284 KB]
Sending food overseas as a business (Hindi and Chinese)
If you want to change or grow your business, our flow chart can help you decide what to do.
Change or grow your business [PDF, 177 KB]
People planning to make changes to their business need to inform their registration authority. This will either be New Zealand Food Safety or their local council.
If you're using a custom food control plan (including a My Food Plan), refer to:
If you want to close or sell your business, check our fact sheet.
Closing or selling your business [PDF, 176 KB]
Do you have suggestions for new topics?
We want to hear from you if you:
- want a new topic added
- want more information on an existing topic
- have some insights on gaps in our information.
Email your suggestions to email@example.com