NES-PF operational guidance
Operational guidance on the National Environmental Standards for Plantation Forestry (NES-PF) for councils on compliance monitoring, monitoring charges, administration, processing resource consents, and things that don't come under the NES-PF.
Fixing charges for monitoring
The NES-PF allows councils to set charges for monitoring certain plantation forestry activities:
- river crossings
- forestry quarries
This guide summarises the process councils must follow and things to think about when setting monitoring charges.
Monitoring charges guidance [PDF, 68 KB]
Under the NES-PF, plantation forestry activities are often permitted where permitted activity conditions are complied with.
This guidance explains how councils can take a risk-based approach to monitoring compliance of plantation forestry activities under the NES-PF.
Risk-based monitoring guidance [PDF, 216 KB]
Administration and compliance
This guidance covers administrative and management requirements under the NES-PF for councils and foresters, including:
- general administration – suggestions for templates, checklists and how to manage NES-PF correspondence
- providing and receiving written notice of plantation forestry activities
- management plans – preparing, requesting, reviewing, and auditing
- important concepts for interpreting the regulations (such as setbacks and water quality standards).
Administration and compliance guidance [PDF, 460 KB]
Template for notice of activities
A template is available that foresters can use to provide written notice of plantation forestry activities to councils (to meet NES-PF requirements). Foresters and councils may use this template and adapt it to their needs. It covers the information required and timeframes for each type of notice.
- Download the notice of activities template [DOCX, 43 KB]
- Download the notice of activities template [PDF, 685 KB]
Processing resource consents
This guidance covers:
- when resource consent may be required under the NES-PF
- how to process resource consents (controlled, restricted discretionary, and discretionary consents)
- practical advice on preparing appropriate consent conditions
- how to bundle applications.
Processing resource consents guidance [PDF, 327 KB]
Activities and effects not under the NES-PF
It's important you understand what is and isn't regulated under the NES-PF.
This guidance explains the scope of the NES-PF, with a list of some activities and effects that aren't covered under the regulations.
Activities and effects not under the NES-PF [PDF, 93 KB]
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback